• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Anyone stopped suppressive therapy?

So I've taken acyclovir for a year. Doctor thinks I should have a break now to see if it's really needed as outbreaks decrease over time. Has anyone tried stopping? Were your outbreaks less than before you started? I've read conflicting information as to whether acyclovir slows your bodies ability to fight this. I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts. I don't want to take them forever, is like to be at a point where I naturally get few outbreaks. Thanks guys, stay positive :)

I was taking it pretty regularly bc earlier in the year I was getting a very small OB once a month. And once I started taking them, they stopped. I am prescribed them as needed though. I was also sleeping with someone every so often, so I was taking them daily for extra protection. I haven't been on them for a few weeks and I actually have been feeling pretty good. But I guess as a side note, I've had hsv2 for 2 years with no OBs the first year and then had those small ones the beginning of the 2nd year. But I've felt less symptom-y since stopping them. Hope that helps!

• 2 months later...

My obs decreased after 5 years . I lightened up the antiviral load , barely took them and before I knew it I was having another outbreak. But I also have been eating like shit and not staying above the wellness line so it could be that too. I'm just going to stay on it forever to be honest it's worth it the less outbreaks the better I'm getting over one now and it's so annoying it's itching so badly in a place where I can't even scratch :/