Jump to content
  • Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

    Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

I have HSV2, new interest has HSV1 - what are transmission odds?

Recommended Posts

I was diagnosed with HSV2 (genital) two years+ ago, and have been on suppressive therapy (Valacyclovir) since, with no outbreaks after the initial one. A new romantic interest (whom I met via a herpes dating site! yay!) has HSV1 (oral + genital). What are the odds of transmitting our respective "flavors" to each other (if and when the opportunity ever ... um... arises, that is)? Does having one type provide immunity to the other? Does being on suppressive therapy inhibit acquiring the other type?

Link to comment

@Bluesy My understanding is that HSV2 provides immunity from HSV1 except in rare cases. But the opposite is not true. Conflicting studies indicate HSV1 provides anywhere from negligible to 40% risk reduction against HSV2.


Antivirals will reduce risk of transmission but will not provide immunity from contracting the virus.

Link to comment
  • 2 weeks later...

@Dave I'll try to find a source with more comprehensive information, but for now you can check out page 7 of The Updated Herpes Handbook: https://www.westoverheights.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Updated-Herpes-Book.pdf


ETA: This also explains why only 40% of people with HSV2 are also infected with HSV1. Most of these people would likely have contracted HSV1 before adulthood or in early adulthood and then contracted HSV2 after becoming sexually active. The remaining 60% who have HSV2 and do not have HSV1 likely gained protection from HSV1 upon acquiring HSV2. This resulted in lower rates of HSV1 among people with HSV2.

Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Create New...