• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

HSV2 Igg tests low positive

So, recently diagnosed, never had obvious symptoms (except for occasional soreness/rash that I have always explained by just mechanical action :-/ ). My HSV1 Igg is >22, but HSV2 came back at 1.7 and 1.4 (both done within a week). My GF is freaking out obviously and wants me to request Western Blot to be done.

Question: do Igg tests still have cross-reactivity between HSV1/HSV2? Seems like Igm tests were highly susceptible, but what about Igg?

Does it make sense to request the WB? Since its only done in UoW this will be a challenge. How specific is the HSV2 Igg?

Thanks!

I was just looking at a test result of a patient who had HSV IgG testing and there was a note at the bottom about cross reactivity. I didn't pay much attention, but the mention of it makes me think it's still possible.

If it makes you feel better, I just took this off of quest diagnostics:

The HSV-2 IgG Western blot assay has historically been considered the gold standard for identifying HSV-2 IgG reactivity. However, Ashley-Morrow et al have clearly demonstrated that the HSV-2 IgG Western blot is less sensitive than the HerpeSelect HSV-2 IgG ELISA for detecting IgG seroconversion following newly-acquired HSV-2 infection: the median interval between symptom onset and IgG seroconversion was 21 days for the HerpeSelect ELISA versus 68 days for the Western blot assay.3 There is thus a window of approximately 47 days in which the Western blot assay may give false-negative confirmatory results. In contrast, true-positive specimens in this window are positive (>60% inhibition) in the HSV-2 IgG inhibition assay. In addition to increased sensitivity, the turnaround time for the inhibition assay is shorter than that of the Western blot assay.

Hope that helps.

I had a low IgG value for HSV2 and a higher value for HSV1, like you. The Western Blot confirmed I do have HSV2. It's expensive, but in my mind, it's worth the hassle to be sure. The six weeks between my initial diagnosis and the Western Blot made me a nervous wreck! At least now I can move forward.

• 7 months later...