• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Recently diagnosed.. Any advice helps!

Hello!

I'm 20 years old and was just diagnosed with HSV2 2 weeks ago today. The outbreak I had was by far the worst pain I've ever felt in my entire life. I would never wish that pain on my worst enemy. Being in college, the stress, the drinking, the drama, the bad eating habits etc. from what I know are triggers to outbreaks. I don't even know how to start a new lifestyle to prevent another outbreak. I'm having such a hard time accepting the fact that I have genital herpes *ew*. It's such a negative social stigma. Not being able to go out for margaritas with my girlfriends, or going to "wine down wednesdays", and managing my stress when finals come around and when I get my period, is going to be exceptionally hard to accept. My first outbreak finally cleared up and WOW does it feel good to walk again! I have only told my parents and my very best friends about my diagnosis. I feel as if the constant paranoia of having another outbreak is going to end up causing my second outbreak. Last night I felt these weird tingles every now and then, but it was all over my body. I've tried so hard to change my lifestyle these past 2 weeks, but since I felt the tingles last night I feel like I have no control over my own body anymore. I have no lesions yet but because of the tinglies I felt that it was a good idea to take the Famvir for a couple days, just to be safe.

I guess I just want to reach out to those of you who have had multiple outbreaks. How did you know you were going to get another one? What are your outbreaks like? How often do/did you get them? Do you know what your trigger is? If so, how long did it take you to figure that out? Will I ever stop feeling disgusting and helpless? Can you get an outbreak literally right after one has ended? For the women: do you get outbreaks around the time of your period? What else can I do to prevent outbreaks? Any advice is helpful. Thank you :) and sorry for the long post!

Hey there! It's true that it could take a while before outbreaks clear up. Back-to-back outbreaks are certainly a possibility. Are you doing your best to take care of yourself? The basics really help. Avoid coffee. Get good sleep. Eat well. Don't stress. (You know, the basics for keeping anyone feeling good in life regardless of herpes!) ;) It will generally take 6 months to a year for the body to build up immunity to the virus to naturally suppress it over the long haul. Your body will get better and better at that. And yes, outbreaks around your cycle are very common since it puts a stress on your body and makes your immune system vulnerable for the virus to slip through.

And yes, with time and self-care and practicing self-acceptance you will stop feeling disgusting and helpless, I promise you. Coming on these forums and sharing yourself is a great first step! Have you listened to my latest podcast interview? It might help put this in perspective for you. :)

Here it is:

http://lauraaiisha.com/2016/16-making-std-disclosure-sexy-with-adrial-from-the-h-herpes-opportunity/

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources: