Jump to content
  • Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

    Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Married and recently diagnosed. Can husband be negative?

Recommended Posts

I was diagnosed with genital HSV-1 9 months ago after experiencing my initial breakout. I have been married for 5 years and with my husband for 2 prior to that. Both of us have been faithful to my knowledge, and I know it's possible to have HSV for years before showing symptoms and I could have contracted it prior to meeting my husband even thought I was only with 2 other people while my husband had been with 24 before me. I just experienced my second outbreak and my husband wants to get tested to see if he has it or not. He wasn't concerned with it when I was diagnosed. Is it possible for me to have this all those years and he not get it from me prior to having symptoms? I'm worried that it will show up as negative and he will accuse me of cheating when that isn't the case for me.

Link to comment

@jr5 Genital HSV1 (or GHSV1) is most often acquired through receiving oral sex from a partner who has HSV1 orally. If he has ever had a cold sore, he almost certainly has oral HSV1, as most adults do. If he hasn't ever had a cold sore, or if he doesn't remember having had a cold sore in his lifetime, it's still possible he has oral HSV1. An IgG test has a 70% chance of detecting HSV1. Unfortunately, it misses 30% of cases. So yes, it is possible he could test negative, even if he has it.


And yes, it's possible you could've contracted it from a previous partner, though much more likely you contracted it from your husband, given the timeline you've shared.


ETA: As far as I know, number of sex partners is not all that relevant to whether or not someone has been infected orally with HSV1. It is often acquired in childhood with a significant number of children acquiring it between 6 months and 3 years old.



Link to comment

You can have it for decades and never know unless you are tested for it. And it's possible after all that time, to have never given it to your partner. Also, no one is a carrier, you either have it or you don't. But just because you have it that doesn't mean you get outbreaks.


It really isn't a big deal as most people have little or no symptoms. Think of it this way, the flu virus can be deadly, killing many each year from. HSV hasn't killed anyone, it's just an annoyance.

Link to comment
  • 2 weeks later...

It's definitely possible. I found out I have HSV1 and HSV2 about a year after my divorce. I told my ex and he tested negative, so I've had it for over 20 years and didn't know it. We were together for 16 years and didn't use condoms, and he never got it. To this day, I'm still blown away by that.

Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Create New...