• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Hsv2 and kissing

I have just been diagnosed with hsv2 genital herpes and feel confused about the information regarding transmitting it to a partner. I read that I can pass through skin to skin contact even without any visible symptoms so can I pass my herpes onto my partner through exchange of saliva by kissing or body contact by cuddling?? Would really appreciate any knowledge people have about this, thank you.

• 3 months later...

I also have this very question, and I can't find a solid answer (though Learningtolive's answer is encouraging). I have HSV2, and I want to know if it's okay to french kiss. Can I transmit the virus through saliva? I would greatly appreciate some definitive information on this. Thank you very much!

Yes, it's okay to french kiss. You usually need genital-to-genital contact to transmit genital HSV2 (an uncommon exception is touching an open sore then touching another body part). It's also possible for someone to get HSV2 orally by giving you oral sex, but that's also statistically uncommon.

If you have HSV2 genitally, it's my understanding that you cannot transmit it from yourself to someone else by giving them oral. If you were receiving oral from someone else, there is a small chance that they could get HSV2 orally, but the chances are very small (sorry, I don't have stats on that). HSV2 strongly prefers to hang out in the genitals.