• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

My doctor can't give me answers... plz help!

Hey guys!

Here's my back story would really really appreciate any help if possible :)

So I've just been diagnosed with HSV1 genital.

I have been with my current partner for about a year now and we have only been sleeping with each other.

I got symptoms about a week ago and thought it was a bacterial infection as I just had had a Brazilian wax - and saw a small wound from it which spread. I was diagnosed last Friday with HSV1.

I've told my partner who has been above and beyond supportive about it, he told me he can't remember if he had any cold sores when he was younger but his mum and brother used to get them a lot.

So my questions are:

1. (Might sound ridiculous) but could I have contracted this through my Brazilian wax if the wax girl has had cold sores and was in her asymptomatic shedding phase?

2. As my partner has never had symptoms of a cold sore that he knows about, if he and I have sex (once I am cleared up) am I likely to pass it to him and give him HSV1 on his genitals or will I give him HSV2?

3. If my partner performs oral on me once I've cleared up is he likely to get a cold sore on his face?

4. How often am I likely to get an outbreak? Can a swab only tell you if you have hsv1 or do you have to get blood work done to determine hsv2?

5. And finally (sorry!) - would it definitely be this partner that gave me hsv1? Or can it be possible that it was a previous partner? How long does it take for symptoms to show up? Or could I have been symptomless for 3 years or something and it's just flared up coz I'm stressed?

Thanks again for your help everyone

X

Hey! Sorry you're going through this but I will try to answer your questions to the best of my knowledge! :)

1. It's not likely that you contracted it from your Brazilian wax. Asymptomatic shedding occurs around the infected area in which I'm guessing she didn't have hand herpes.

2. Genital-to-genital HSV-1 isn't as common as oral-to-genital. Since HSV-1 typically prefers the mouth area, it is less likely to pass it on to him genitally(but still possible). It is also less likely for a woman to pass it to a man, than it is for a man to pass it to a woman. However, if you do transmit it to your partner, you would be passing to him whichever type you have as well.

3. Yes. Even if you are all cleared up, there is no telling when asymptomatic shedding may occur. In which, if it does, it is more likely that you will pass it to him orally.

4. Outbreaks for genital hsv-1 are less common than outbreaks for genital hsv-2 and oral hsv-1. Recurrences after the primary outbreak are few to none and not nearly as aggressive. A swab test is the most accurate of them all when it comes to HSV. If there is a present sore, a swab test can determine which type it is, whether it's type 1 or 2. Blood tests are usually for the people who have no symptoms present.

5. It is possible you could have gotten it from your current partner or your previous partners. HSV can lie dormant in the body for yearssss. So it's nearly impossible to pinpoint who, when, or where you may have contracted it from, unless someone you were intimate with knew they had it.

Hope that helped you some! :)

@tessuhjay It can happen but it is rare. The vast majority of cases you referenced (face, eyes, mouth) are due to HSV1, but it is *possible* to contract HSV2, just very unlikely. The good news for people who get it orally/facially is that it is usually confined to a single outbreak and sheds very rarely after that, like 1% of days per year, which is much less frequently than oral HSV1 or genital HSV1 and HSV2. Additionally, an oral HSV2 infection largely protects the person from ever getting genital HSV2 (and HSV1, if they don't already have it).