• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Location of Where Shedding Occurs From

So when you have shedding occurring, we know it can happen when we're having symptoms, or sometimes even without noticeable symptoms.

My question is, when shedding is happening, is it only happening from the skin location on our body where the breakouts occur?

The reason I ask is because for example, if someone has sacral herpes or breakouts on their butt, does it require this area of skin where the breakouts are occurring to touch the other person's skin in an area that is open to receiving the virus?

If it's on your butt, no matter of how or why it got there, it is probably not an area that you're going to be rubbing on your partner's genitals. Of course someone could bring their mouth into contact with this area, but let's keep it simple and only talk about genitals :)

Does anyone know the answer to this? Do we only shed a particular area that is affected? Maybe this is kind of an obvious answer like duh, yes, only the area where you get breakouts, but you can imagine it can get quite confusing if you have herpes in a slightly less common area.

@surfsup I'd encourage you to think about it as you might think about oral herpes. Both are contagious but people generally aren't concerned about the lack of control associated with having oral herpes. They tend to just accept it. There are exceptions, but I am generalizing.

Well, from what I understand, herpes does not shed from thick skinned areas such as your buttocks, abdomen etc. Terri Warren mentioned this. I've never passed H on and I've had ob's in both those areas and have had this over 30 yrs. This is provided you are not having an active ob. I suggest antiviral, eating right and getting plenty if rest. Lots of people here have never passed it on. I also suggest using condoms. Go have fun!!!

@Katidid -- interesting, thanks for the mention! The thing that confuses me is this. Let's say I have HSV-2 and the outbreaks occur on my butt. With what @optimist said the outbreaks may not occur on my penis or nearby, but the shedding could still occur from anywhere in my boxer short region -- which of course rubs a woman when I have sex.

Have you ever had an outbreak on / near your genitals? Or just your buttocks, abdomen, etc.

Yes I've had them in genital region as well as buttocks and abdomen. I have been married for 21 years and my husband does not have this. Now having said that, I have been married for 21 years and my husband does not have this. Now having said that, he uses condoms during intercourse.... strictly his choice. However, we have more oral sex than anything completely unprotected..... ,i have hvs2.

@surfsup I'd like to clarify my comments as they were not totally correct. It is correct that someone with an outbreak on his butt will likely shed virus from his penis, scrotum and anus, but the reverse is not true. @Katidid is correct that asymptomatic shedding will not occur where the skin is thicker, though outbreaks can occur in those locations. I apologize for the misinformation.

In summary, outbreaks can occur anywhere in the "boxer shorts" region, but asymptomatic shedding occurs throughout the genital tract, regardless of the location of outbreaks. In men, that's the penis, scrotum and anus. In women, that's the vulva, perineum and anus.

@optimist -- do you know if I am one of the rare cases with Oral HSV-2, does it only shed from my mouth, or does it also shed from my genitals?

Not sure if you know my back story, but I am not 100% sure I have it orally, but I think there is a decent chance. Swabbing would confirm, but I haven't had any outbreaks upstairs or down to swab!

@surfsup My understanding is that oral HSV2 almost never recurs after a first outbreak and then sheds an average of 1% of days per year. I don't know exactly where shedding occurs when it does, but it sheds way, way less than oral HSV1. I would guess that like with genital herpes, oral/facial herpes can outbreak anywhere on the face (though most commonly on the lips) but only sheds asymptomatically from the mouth and lips, but this is only a guess. Sorry I don't know more.