• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

I have oral herpes — HSV, type 2

I have Oral Herpes type two. Yes positive. I need more information on symptoms and transmission rates, and can I kiss again?? :(

I have kissed someone and I want to know if that can pass on to him? Not too much info out there on oral type two. Please help!

- Liz

Wow, you're in the extreme minority! Are you absolutely sure it's HSV-2? You got the IgG test confirming that? The reason I ask is because only 1-2% of the population actually has HSV-2 orally (and the majority of the 1-2% are men who have sex with men). Based on the extreme rarity of oral HSV-2, you can see that the HSV-2 strain of the virus prefers NOT to be in the mouth, which means the risk of passing it that way should be much lower. The virus only sheds 1% of the time.

See the disclosure handout here to see the stats on viral shedding:

http://bit.ly/h-opp-disclosure-handout

The risk of passing HSV-2 to the mouth is so drastically low, in fact, that Dr. Leone even told our in-person support group this past Monday that there is no reason to even abstain from oral sex if you have HSV-2 genitally. Watch the full video here:

http://herpeslife.com/doctor-answers-questions-about-genital-herpes-hsv-and-hpv/

And to answer your question, of course you can kiss again! Let your partners know the deal and what a low risk it is and that 80% of Americans ages 14-49 have the HSV-1 strain of herpes orally.

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources:

I told you already. ;) HSV-2 orally only sheds 1% of the time, which means the chance of transmission are even lower. The chances mathematically speaking are slim to none, but there's always a chance. Not enough of a chance to be paranoid at all, but to be cautious and aware if you happen to be having something out of the ordinary going on in your mouth.

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources: