• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Help! Painful first outbreak

My doctor just called I was negative for type 2 but positive to type 1. BUT it's on my vag, and the last guy I was with did not have a sore on his mouth or anything. Or that he noticed I guess?? Can this lay dormant as well and pop up whenever on my vagina? I am literally going through the most painful first outbreak ever.

@kiko There really isn't a way to avoid transmission altogether. There are only ways to reduce the risk. Suppressive therapy, condom use, and no sex around the time of an outbreak are ways to greatly reduce the risk. (Which I'm assuming you may not outbreaks have if you're asymptomatic...) I know that HSV1 sheds less frequently than HSV2, but there is still shedding, and no way of knowing when it happens. If you haven't already gotten the handouts from this site, I highly recommend you do so. I learned a lot just from them, and it's nice to have something on hand to refer to for statistics and such. :)