• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Pain is insane

There's no easy answer @Mandyr - I'm sorry. Everyone's body reacts differently to the virus. My first OB hung around for a while. It would be getting better and then start up all over again. My doctor prescribed antivirals and a lidocaine jelly to topical treatment. Personally I found holistic topical treatments to work better on the symptoms. Coconut oil, tea tree oil - I keep reading good things about lemon balm oil as well. I also took OTC pain killers like Advil and Tylenol.

The best thing you can do right now is give your body what it needs to get stronger. Rest, fluids, a diet high in nutrition. Fresh veggies, lean protein (if you eat meat) - try to avoid processed foods, sugar, alcohol. Also try to keep the area cool and dry. Loose-fitting clothes, go commando if you can stand it - otherwise, comfy cotton undies. Try not to stress too much about it, but I know that's much easier said than done. Personally, my first OB finally started taking a turn for the better when I released some of the emotional burden I was carrying to confiding in a trusted friend about it.

There is good news, though. This is likely to be your worst and longest OB. Any recurrences are likely to be shorter and less severe. Start doing some internet research looking for common prodromal symptoms - they can help you detect when a recurrence is about to happen. Keep track to help you determine your triggers. Stress, diet, hormonal changes, sex are all common triggers.