• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

I have HSV2.

I found out last week that I have HSV2... I have had no genital related symptoms but I am one of the rare and lucky souls to get a Herpetic Whitlow (I think 2 breakouts now but first was miss diagnosed)... so ya... I got finger herpes. at 38 yrs old. The anxiety and worry that I have had since diagnosis has been terrible. I know its not a big deal logically. But emotionally I am just off the chart anxious. I was always safe... I am not even sure who/how I got it from. I am super lucky that I have an amazing GF with HSV1 who has the mindset of... so what I get a blister in another spot worst case? lol. Its still very new and raw and I have an active finger outbreak which constantly reminds me of it. People asking me whats wrong with my finger is just killer. I assume with time it will get easier... as with most things in life. But I keep worrying about being alone forever if it does not work out with my current girlfriend... I feel as everyone else does that this is not fair... I was tested in Nov of 16 and all clear. 2 partners since then so I had to tell someone they might have it... well two people. I am also struggling with the possible guilt of giving it to the gf I am with now. I am hoping its only on my finger... but how can I possibly ever know that?

Hi there,

You were tested in November 2016, but were you with anyone within about a four month period up until November? Because it can take up to 16 weeks for the antibodies to be detected in your blood. Meaning that you could have been exposed to it prior to November. Also, do you know for sure that you were tested for HSV? Its not included in the vast majority of STD tests unless you specifically ask for it.

Your girlfriend sounds like she has a realistic head on her shoulders! As for guilt of transmitting, if she has HSV1 she should hopefully have some knowledge of how these viruses transmit and the small risk involved. From what I've read, once a virus settles in one place on your body, it isn't likely to start popping up in another. That being said, it isn't impossible, just less likely. There is no way to know if you do have the virus hanging out in another area unless you have an outbreak, which is frustrating.

If people ask whats wrong with your finger just tell them you have a skin condition you're seeing a dermatologist for. There's no reason that they need to know whats going on, unless you want them to know. But it's nothing to be ashamed of! When someone gets a cold sore, no one even blinks an eye at it. But cold sores are herpes. I know its easier said than done to not be ashamed, I'm still coming to terms with that myself.

This forum is awesome, browse the old posts and read the success stories. They are inspiring and can definitely boost your mental health if you're in a tough spot. Most all of us have been there and some of us are still there

As to your first questions yes I had other partners and yes I am aware I am not sure who/when/where I was exposed... it sucks. But I care for her so I did let her know just in case she gave it or was also gloriously exposed to it by me. It was a tough conversation but I just couldn't not give her a heads up. No accusations etc just informative. She took it well and is going to get tested. Yes I am sure I was tested for HSV... Quest is nice enough to keep the results online so I have double checked about 30 times.

I'm glad that they tested you! Most providers don't order HSV without having a symptom they're seeing or without being asked. If they did, a lot more people would know their status. But that can also be misleading since it isn't location specific. Had I been tested for it previously, it probably would have been assumed I have it orally, as I have HSV1. And I would have thought oh okay, I could get a cold sore at some point in my life no big deal. But unfortunately that's not where the virus decided to reside in my body. I'm still newly diagnosed, three weeks ago, so trust me I understand your anguish right now. I have a lot of days where I'm mentally not in a good place, but I have days where I'm okay. This forum helps a lot along with some other online resources I've found. Hang in there

• 2 years later...
On 7/12/2017 at 9:35 PM, jam77 said:

I found out last week that I have HSV2... I have had no genital related symptoms but I am one of the rare and lucky souls to get a Herpetic Whitlow (I think 2 breakouts now but first was miss diagnosed)... so ya... I got finger herpes. at 38 yrs old. The anxiety and worry that I have had since diagnosis has been terrible. I know its not a big deal logically. But emotionally I am just off the chart anxious. I was always safe... I am not even sure who/how I got it from. I am super lucky that I have an amazing GF with HSV1 who has the mindset of... so what I get a blister in another spot worst case? lol. Its still very new and raw and I have an active finger outbreak which constantly reminds me of it. People asking me whats wrong with my finger is just killer. I assume with time it will get easier... as with most things in life. But I keep worrying about being alone forever if it does not work out with my current girlfriend... I feel as everyone else does that this is not fair... I was tested in Nov of 16 and all clear. 2 partners since then so I had to tell someone they might have it... well two people. I am also struggling with the possible guilt of giving it to the gf I am with now. I am hoping its only on my finger... but how can I possibly ever know that?

Hi Jam, I just found out that the swollen and blistered area on my left middle finger is HSV. The fingered the girl I was with and had a hangnail at the time. We also had unprotected sex so I’m extremely nervous it will show up on my genitals. So far nothing down below and the finger is the only indicator of this new diagnosis. Since your post was made so many years ago, I was wondering how often your whitlow has reoccurred? My dermatologist said it will come back often. Is this true? Will I forever walk around with bandaids in my fingers? I’m so upset, not sleeping, barely eating. Hoping you can put my mind at ease. Thank you!