• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Both partners have different hsv1!

Hey everyone! So I just told the guy I've been seeing that I have genital hsv1... I was super nervous and literally practiced my speech 10 times over. And after I said the first line, he responded "hsv1 like coldsores? Yea I test positive for hsv1 as well but I've never had an outbreak of any kind" so first of such a sigh of relief.. but my question is, since he doesn't know the location site of his virus, should we still use condoms? (Besides the obvious other reasons to use) his dad has oral hsv1 so he thinks that's probably where his is.. I know it's a silly question but I'm worried if having sex with my genital hsv1 will cause a flare up genitally with him? Is there just no way of knowing his site until he has one?

Looking for any input with anyone who's been in this situation!

Thanks!

Statistically speaking, it's much more likely that he has oral HSV1 since that type prefers the mouth. I have both strains (1 and 2) and since my genital outbreaks aren't severe enough to to get conclusive results from a swab test and I've never had a cold sore, I'm just guessing I have oral HSV1 and genital HSV2 but there's no way to be certain without an outbreak. That's just the most statistically likely scenario. Btw, only about a third of those with oral HSV1 ever get a cold sore. For some reason I'm fascinated by that statistic!

Terri Warren says that if you have an established infection....as in, your boyfriend has had HSV1 for a while...getting it in another part of the body is highly unlikely. Conceptually possible, but highly unlikely.