• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Herpes blood test

So when im back in country for ten days i want to get a blood test to see which type i have. My insurance is kaiser and they offer what they callthe AB test which sees if u have antibodies, it doesnt do type specific testing. My local planned parenthood offers type 2 blood testing for $75. And theres various testing outlets that offer the igg that cost $150 which i cant afford. Should i just go for the latter option since i wont be able to test again until june 2014? Or is it still to early cause i was diagnosed feb 24 and would be getting tested june 10.

In the savage love podcast they say that a certain percentage by 12 have antibodies to hsv-2. What does that mean? Thst theyve been exposed to the virus and developed an immune response?

If i have a consult w a primary doctor and explain my symptoms will i be able to get a valtrex subscription? Or does she need positive herpes test results for that to happen?

Thanks all

• 2 weeks later...

Hi starry_eyed! Sorry this message got buried before I was able to respond to it!

From what I've heard, 4 months should be enough time for your body to develop the antibodies (if you do have herpes) so that there are enough that a blood test for herpes can detect them. I've heard the IgG test is the best, followed by the Western Blot. If you want a definitive test result, I'd go for one of those in my opinion.

And it's really hit and miss when it comes to whether a doctor will give you a prescription simply by explaining your symptoms. I just read on someone else's post on these forums ... here's the link:

http://herpeslife.com/herpes-forum/discussion/1065/suppressive-therapy-and-herpes-outbreaks/p1

... that a doctor wouldn't give a prescription for herpes medication unless they were able to come in during an outbreak (even though the blood test showed they had herpes). I would call around to doctors to see. Apparently it's a case-by-case basis. I imagine that you would at least need proof that you indeed have herpes, either by swabbing an outbreak or a definitive blood test. But requiring both is outrageous. ;)

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources: