• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

2 Months since GHSV-1 Diagnosis - Constant Itch/Discomfort

Hello!

I found out that I have GHSV-1 two months ago. My initial OB lesions cleared in about 2 weeks and I started to feel a bit better, but then I got my period and since then I have had a constant itching and red rash down around my anus (my initial OB was mostly around my anus and not my vagina). Not sure if the period is related to the itching.

No obvious new lesions have appeared since the first OB but I am constantly itchy and uncomfortable now. I get itching and tingles on my my bum cheeks and upper thighs sometimes as well.

Just looking for some advice and whether anyone else has experienced similar symptoms? I'm hoping this is just my body getting used to fighting off the virus, but am obviously a bit concerned that this will never go away. I'm doing ok dealing with the fact I have herpes, but the constant physical reminder does make it harder. Additionally, it looks like I also have anal fissures which I guess are due to the herpes as well.

I am UK based so getting medication isn't easy unless you suffer more than 6 OBs a year. I took a 2 day course of Aciclovir once the itching flared up after the initial OB but that's it. I was thinking going on longer term supressive therapy may help but it will be tricky to get the medication from a doctor here as I'm so newly diagnosed.

Any advice would be appreciated! Just trying to get through the initial stress of being newly diagnosed with this.

Hi @BlueBerry08. I had the same symptoms, almost constantly, since I was told I’m H+. I’ve only known since early September. I’m not as knowledgeable as most here, but I can speak from my own experience. My symptoms have gotten better, not as frequent and annoying. I do get the occasional tingly, bug crawly feeling. And I don’t take any medications.

Hi @BlueBerry08. I had the same symptoms, almost constantly, since I was told I’m H+. I’ve only known since early September. I’m not as knowledgeable as most here, but I can speak from my own experience. My symptoms have gotten better, not as frequent and annoying. I do get the occasional tingly, bug crawly feeling. And I don’t take any medications.

Hi @lostandconfused99 - thanks for sharing your experience. I was getting pretty upset that my symptoms were totally abnormal and that I'd never not have this itching and irritation. My doctor made it sound like once your initial OB was over, you'd have no other symptoms and you'd feel normal again in a matter of weeks.

I also live in the UK. i finally got my swab after 6 years of thinking I may have GHSV1 and yes it was positive this week. I can tell you after my first outbreak my body went wild. For at least 6 months. And this was with GHSV 1. Obviously never been exposed before. Everything was weird. I didnt itch but had tingling. I can promise you this though - so many people on this forum have said it in other threads - literally when the one year mark hit its like someone flicked a switch and things went back to normal. Literally. I've had a couple of recurrences in 6 years, but seriously minor and yes I get a twinge or two. i've had spots on my face that hurt more to be honest. I have never taken anti virals as the outbreaks since have been so minor and I wanted by body to build its own army first. It will get better. it WILL. x

Hi @lilyluv

Your post has made me feel a lot better, thank you! I have been mentally preparing myself to have a pretty rough year with this so I can deal with that. In my head though I am worrying it will be like this forever, but hearing your experience makes me hopeful that I'll get back to my normal self eventually :)