• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

I can’t cope

I need some support. I found out just after Christmas. And told the guy about two weeks ago. He handled it well. But we just decided to be friends. He’s waiting on getting his results back. I thought I was coping fine. But since I told him I can’t stop crying. What 20 something year old guy is going to want to start something with me now. I did start talking to someone. I didn’t even tell him I had herpes yet and he made a comment about trying to keep those lifetime STI’s to a nill. I feel so alone and I just don’t think I can do this. Everything is hitting me really hard at the moment. I can’t sleep I don’t want to go out. I just don’t know how to cope with this. It affecting me really badly. As you guys have or are going through this, I’m hoping you can relate and let me know how you’re coping with it.

You are going to be ok!! You're young, life will be different, so from now on you are on suppression therapy, use condoms, don't get something worse!! I think looking at the positive aspects of what being responsible for our own sexual heath really feels like, has helped me adjust to this new life. I am thinking of it as the gift that saved me from myself!!! Love & support to you new friend!!

• Thanks 1

Initially when I found out I had ghsv2 I was like”omg, what am I going to do now?!?” Then I stopped and thought to myself...”am I dying??” no.” Do I have horrible symptoms that make me constantly think about this?!”, no and more importantly “is this really going to change my life for the negative?!” And once again the answer was no. It sucked when I first found out but you’re not going to die. I had the condition for three years before I was even diagnosed. I still love my life the same way, I just take suppression therapy now. Nothing in my life has changed besides the fact that I have to take an extra pill each morning. If you’re one of us who doesn’t have horrible symptoms and can live a pretty normal life aside from experiencing horrible OB’s be thankful. It could always be worse and I look at this as a way to weed out people who chose not to educate themselves fully on the condition and think that I have something that can kill them.

• Thanks 1
  • 1 year later...
On 2/12/2018 at 5:42 PM, OptimisticSoul143 said:

Initially when I found out I had ghsv2 I was like”omg, what am I going to do now?!?” Then I stopped and thought to myself...”am I dying??” no.” Do I have horrible symptoms that make me constantly think about this?!”, no and more importantly “is this really going to change my life for the negative?!” And once again the answer was no. It sucked when I first found out but you’re not going to die. I had the condition for three years before I was even diagnosed. I still love my life the same way, I just take suppression therapy now. Nothing in my life has changed besides the fact that I have to take an extra pill each morning. If you’re one of us who doesn’t have horrible symptoms and can live a pretty normal life aside from experiencing horrible OB’s be thankful. It could always be worse and I look at this as a way to weed out people who chose not to educate themselves fully on the condition and think that I have something that can kill them.

Thankyou so much. I end up leaving this page for a bit. So sorry for the year later reply. I don’t know why I just in some way wanted to forget about it. I was in such a dark place and there are still times where I struggle. I’m now trying to look at it in a more possible light and force myself to try and talk to guys and move on. One thing that keeps coming up that I don’t really know anything about is this suppressive medication. People keep writing they take it. No one told me about medication you can take continuously. I was told that they only give that to you when you have outbreaks or if you get them regularly. How do I find out more about this? 

This virus has an unwarranted stigma associated with it.  Every year 1000's die from the flu virus, no adult dies from HSV.

There's a January 1, 2004 New England Journal of Medicine article that talks about once-daily use of Valacyclovir to reduce the risk of transmission.  After reading it tried to get on a daily dosage but my doctor resisted (because I've never had symptoms that I've ever noticed), until I showed him this article.