• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

New and so many unanswered Questions

Hi, I'm new here unfortunately and could really use some advice. I initially posted in the general discussion forum but thought that this area may be better versed to provide feedback on my concerns. I feel like my doctor is not well versed in all things HSV and there seems to be so much misinformation out there.

My back story, married for 12 years, when we separated I had unprotected and protected sex with 5 different men, all but one were one night stands. I have not had sex nor been in a relationship for nearly 4 years now.

I had a growth that presented itself like genital warts (not herpes). I went to my GP but she was not sure so went to a dermatologist for diagnosis. The dermatologist thought it was HVP but wanted to biopsy as she had some doubt. Turns out it was not HVP and was a benign wart like growth. Before getting the biopsy back I was convinced I had HVP so had an STD screen in case I had anything else.

My GP was reluctant to do a Herpes blood test as she said the test couldn't tell me for sure and I had had no outbreak or symptoms. I pushed for the test as last year I had a string of UTI's that I had read could have been mistaken for Herpes. The last guy I slept with also had flu directly after sleeping with me. At the time he asked me if I had herpes which I of course said no, as I didn't even know that flu was a symptom. That being said he was cheating on his wife and was a bit of a hypochondriac so he may have talked himself into something that wasn't even there. He had no sores and we continued our relationship for about a year. Neither of us having an outbreak. I am still friends with the guy and he has never mentioned herpes again so I assume he had not had any symptoms since the flu that may not have even been a symptom.

I got my results back, everything was clear except HSV1 was positive. I don't know my number. My doctor didn't give that to me. I am not that concerned about this diagnosis as before I got married I had a bf who had cold sores so could have caught it from him, also one of the men I had a one night stand with had cold sores from time to time (I worked with him that is how I saw them). I have never had a cold sore.

My HSV2 came back equivocal. The unknown is driving me insane. I am constantly worried about it. My doctor doesn't think my UTI's were an outbreak as I didn't even have pain going to the bathroom until the last one (I had about 4 in the space of a few months about 12 months ago). And while I know outbreaks can be hard to detect and/or show up years and years later my doctor does not believe this to be the norm. My equivocal result could not be due to a new infection as I have not had sex in about 4 years.

I don't know what to do. Should I test again? I am not sure that would make a difference to the result as infection, if any, is not recent. If I receive a positive with a retest it is likely to be a low score? So potentially a false positive? I am in Australia so I don't have access to WB.

Had I not panicked I would never have had the test after finding out my growth was not HVP and I would be none the wiser. My doctor told me to just forget about it. I want to but I can't.

What do you think? Do I likely or unlikely have HSV2? Should I retest? Or will it add more confusion and heartbreak into the mix. I would really appreciate your thoughts and ideas. Thank you for taking the time to read and answer.