• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Returning to previous partners post genital HSV1 disgnosis

Hey there so I'm totally new to this but here goes. I was diagnosed with genital HSV1 (I'm female) 3 and a half years ago. Pretty sure I got it from the guy I was seeing (he used to get cold sores but thought nothing of them and didn't realise he could transmit the virus even without having symptoms) but it didn't matter that much because we then started going out and we're together since then. However we have now broken up so I am having to face the idea of disclosing to future partners which is terrifying.

Before my diagnosis, I went out with a guy and due to circumstances we weren't able to continue our relationship. However he has come back into my life recently and there is a chance something may develop there again. The thing is I'm so nervous about having to tell him that I now have HSV1 because it's unlikely to come up naturally in conversation and I'm so scared that it will totally put him off me. It's also difficult because we are from different countries and I'm not sure how culturally acceptable STIs are for him, and there is the language barrier aswell... I feel it would be better to mention as soon as possible before any feelings have time to develop but I just don't know how. I almost never have symptoms any more and I basically forget about it 99% of the time but right now it feels like some huge hurdle.

Any advice would be amazing. Or has anyone else ever been in a similar situation?