• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Typical IgG Ranges of HSV1 Veterans?

I have a question,

I am trying to figure out based on recent labs if I have had HSV1 for a long time or if I have contracted it recently. I have a case of herpetic whitlow that I believe is recurrent from childhood. I've not had any other OB since childhood if so. My blood test came back with a range of 2.85 IgG antibodies for HSV1. Veterans what are your ranges?

The IgG index values won’t tell you how long you’ve had the virus. For HSV1 I was at 49-something, and for HSV2 it was 3.27. Although I was diagnosed just two years ago, I know I acquired HSV at least 18-25 years earlier (because my ex-husband rested negative).

Hey all! I'm new to the forum, but not new to HSV1.

I was diagnosed about 15 years ago in my early 20s and am not sure of my IGG numbers from back then, but I was tested 4 years ago and again just recently.

4 years ago I got back "above high normal" results of 35.8.

When I retested this year in January, I was 8.34

When I was retested again a week ago in March, was at 7.46.

When I tested with those "above high normal" numbers, I had battled a couple of cold sores within the few years leading up to that test, but since then.... nothing... until recently.

I may be one of those strange cases of someone who has the first episode & diagnosis, only to then have the virus essentially go almost dormant for 15+ years, only to then go crazy causing havoc again about 15 years later. If any one else here in the forum has had that experience, I would love to hear about it!

I was diagnosed with HSV1 in both places and of course the first outbreak was horrible. Then after the first outbreak, I didn't really have many issues except a cold sore on my mouth maybe 2 or 3 times as mentioned, over the last 15 years... THEN BAM! All of a sudden in December of this past year, I started having crazy issues "down there." I had so many symptoms that I've read many people talk about... itching, a little raw spot, burning sensation, nerve tingle... ugh. At first I was so scared that I may have contracted HSV2 from one encounter in which there were was no intercourse, but some possible skin contact, but doctors and everyone told me it was highly unlikely and I made sure to follow up with HSV2 testing at 3 months and 5 months post incident. Both IGG and IGM tests came back negative so I am left here thinking that this darn HSV1 from years ago is just reactivated and causing havoc.

I was under a crazy amount of stress back in December related to my job. No sleep, stress, etc. Things got crazy in December and then continued to be problematic until mid-February when I started to take Valtrex and took it for about a month.

The whole experience has been so frustrating, but the meds seem to have put all the symptoms in check and I am praying that things calm down completely and this 3-4 month episode is temporary.

Has anyone else been symptom free for years and years, only to then have HSV1 or even 2 start acting up again?

Has anyone else been symptom free for years and years, only to then have HSV1 or even 2 start acting up again?

Hello!

Yes, essentially that is what I am trying to figure out for myself. Backstory, when I was 14 or 15 about 15 years ago I remember having my left thumb hurt and swell, form a blister which my mom told me to pop then it healed and went away. No testing was ever done. Fast forward to ten days ago I had a very deep cut in the same thumb. It began to swell, my entire hand began to burn and my nerves where on fire. I also began to burn around my bottom. I ended up in the ER because of my hand and found out that I had a case of deep tissue herpetic whitlow. I had then transferred the virus to my bottom while caring for a hemorrhoid. Blood test and a test of the vesicle on my bottom have just concluded positive for HSV1 but negative for HSV2. My blood results came back with an IgG of 2.85 for HSV1. So I am trying to determine if HSV1 is something I have had for a long time or if it was from a recent encounter (about nine days pre OB). There was no genital contact during that encounter so it might be plausible that I did contract it in my hand then transfer to my bottom as the doctor suggested. Opinions?

Hello!

Yes, essentially that is what I am trying to figure out for myself. Backstory, when I was 14 or 15 about 15 years ago I remember having my left thumb hurt and swell, form a blister which my mom told me to pop then it healed and went away. No testing was ever done. Fast forward to ten days ago I had a very deep cut in the same thumb. It began to swell, my entire hand began to burn and my nerves where on fire. I also began to burn around my bottom. I ended up in the ER because of my hand and found out that I had a case of deep tissue herpetic whitlow. I had then transferred the virus to my bottom while caring for a hemorrhoid. Blood test and a test of the vesicle on my bottom have just concluded positive for HSV1 but negative for HSV2. My blood results came back with an IgG of 2.85 for HSV1. So I am trying to determine if HSV1 is something I have had for a long time or if it was from a recent encounter (about nine days pre OB). There was no genital contact during that encounter so it might be plausible that I did contract it in my hand then transfer to my bottom as the doctor suggested. Opinions?

Hey Runner - based on what you have described I feel as though you had this since childhood, HOWEVER I thought that once you contract the virus and build up the antibodies to it - that you CANNOT transfer it to another body part after the initial infection. I thought that for instance, getting it orally and genitally sometimes happens because when someone is first exposed to the virus, they are exposed to it in both places at the SAME time? Thats what happened to me.

For you - it seemed like you had the thumb issue before...but now it's thumb and your bottom?

• 1 month later...

Hi

I have a similar story. For the past 10 years I have had yearly thumb infections, very painful and pussy taking 3-4 weeks to heal. Only ever came around when I was very stressed or run down.

I’m only 29 and recently married. In the last 6 months I’ve got married, bought a house and have an extremely stressful job - project manager for new vessels. Lots of sleepless nights. Last few weeks I’ve had pain in thumb and some small pimples on thigh so went to doctor.

I’ve also, for as long as I can remember, had painless pimples appear around inner thigh and Punic area but never gave it a second thought. Doctor finally suggested an igg test.

IGG came back at 14 for hsv2!!! Very shocked.

Could I have had very minor out breaks and not realised? Not sure what the 14 means? New / old?

When I was younger (17-20) I was promiscuous and I’ll informed

Wife is getting tested this week - I’m crushed

Thanks

I just got tested, because I had a breakout! I didn't get any of these numbers that you have been talking about. Just results. Can you pass this virus to other body parts...I didn't think you could, because yo were already infected.

All this is new to me..just found out two weeks ago today, I have it. Had it not been for the breakout, I would have never know.

Although, I tested positive for type 1 I was negative for type 2 But, the samples my Dr took from the breakout area, were positive for type 2.

She told me my IgG test showed this was due to a recent exposure. Which really freaked me out, because I have been with the same man (now engaged) for over two and a half years. Long story short, he got tested last week and he is positive for type 1 and 2. Never knew it..never had a breakout or a cold sore.

He was married for 17 years. his ex wife has never had a breakout. Not sure is she has type 1 or 2. But, he said he would have known if she had a breakout during their marriage. I can't imagine, that she would be negative for type 1 or 2 after being married to him for so long. How can two people be so fortunate to not have a breakout. My guess is, he is a carrier. I have no idea about his ex wife.

To be honest, I just knew it was going to be me, who had given it to him..I have been divorced a lot longer and dated a lot more than he, since our divorce. I am the first person he has been with since he divorced.

It is just very puzzling how this virus works! I really hope I do not deal with a lot of breakouts. I got on meds right away, and thankfully things did not get as bad as they cold have.