• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Someone give me clarity!!

Hi guys.

I’m 20 years old and have had sexual relationships with 4 guys.

Recently I got a sore near my vagina that was EXTREMELY painful. I went to urgent care because that was the only thing open. The doctor said it looked very consistent to herpes. I got the blood test and I came back negative! Before I got it I thought forsure I had the flu. Now it’s kinda itchy down there and I have pretty thick discharge.

They said it can sometimes take up to 4 months for the virus to show in your system. I’ve been with my current boyfriend for 5 months so if I get it from him wouldn’t it show by now?

I really don’t think he would cheat on me but could he have? I’m just confused.

Hi. Sorry you are going through this. Since it is not showing up in your blood now, it means you just caught it. If you test again in 3 months, it will be positive (if you have it). I am surprised though that they didn’t try to do a swab test. Your boyfriend needs to get tested as well! And you need to rest for both types, 1 and 2. If your boyfriend has had it for a while, he may not have passed the virus to you until recently- that’s why it’s not showing up on the tests. You don’t automatically catch herpes from someone just because they have it, the virus has to be shedding, it may not have been shedding all those moths you were together. Also, if he has ever had a cold sore, it could be type 1 if he gave you oral. A cold sore does not have to be present for this to occur! Ask if he’s ever had a cold sore. Either way, this does not mean he has been cheating. Either way, I wouldn’t have sex until all of the itching and discharge is gone, as that may mean the virus is still active. In any case, hope you feel better soon! Although it may seem like it, this really isn’t the end of the world. You will be ok.

Wow. Ok, I hope some others will add their own two cents, but there are a few possibilities. It’s possible that you do not have herpes. Maybe it could be a different sti- it would be a good idea to test for all other sti’s to make sure. It’s also possible that it’s nothing more than maybe a yeast infection plus a shaving bump or something along those lines. Or it’s possible that they just didn’t get enough material from the swab test to yield a proper result. A blood test in 3 months for hsv1 and hsv2 will be a way to know for sure. In the meantime, let your boyfriend know what’s going on, don’t have sex until everything feels back to normal, and safe sex is a good idea until you can figure out what’s going on.

If they swabbed the sores directly with a q-tip looking cotton swab and it came up negative there are only two possibilities:

1. The test was performed wrong somehow

2. It's not Herpes.

The best thing to do is to first nail down a proper diagnosis so that you can get proper treatment.

If the sorws have healed, it may take some time to get a positive result from a blood sample.

You dotor should understand that a negative result means more work should be done, it is not a final answer to say, "I guess you're fine, even though you are in pain and showing symptoms of an STD"

If you have to get a different doctor who is actually inclined to find answers for you, do it.

• 4 months later...

I need help too ! My boyfriend has what I think to be outbreak first one h2 

I went to doctor and I’m negative for 2 . We have been together 3.5 years 

if when he gets his test back and it’s positive should I assume he has had it and is it possible I haven’t contracted in 3 years or that’s it’s a new infection 

also if he comes back with neg 2 test does that mean it’s new infection and antibodies haven’t built up yet 

need answers 

anything