• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Newbie and need help

Hello all, I was just diagnosed w HSV1 and HSV2 (blood test). I'm going through a divorce and my husband told me he has HSV1 and hid is outbreaks during our relationship. He didn't take meds. I haven't had symptoms but got tested and came back positive for both. I assumed I had HSV1 genital but now I'm not sure. Without outbreaks how do I know if I have oral or genital HSV1? I'm worried about transmitting. My doctor said 3% chance in transmission and 1% w condoms. They will not put me on meds bc I haven't had an outbreak yet. Can I pass by kissing or giving someone oral? I know I can pass by vaginal sex, oral sex and receiving oral.

I'm sorry to hear that you're finding yourself in this position! I hope that you are managing ok. Technically, yes, you can pass on the virus through vaginal sex, giving and receiving oral and kissing (and anal sex potentially, just to cover any and all bases!). I would suggest thinking about way of disclosing where you say that you know you are positive for the virus but as you have not had an outbreak you aren't sure where it might potentially show itself but you are taking all precautions possible to limit the risk of transmission from wherever. At the end of the day, the site where you have the virus is unlikely to affect whether or not you have a positive disclosure with someone!

Most of all, try not to worry too much and try not to let it take over your life. As long as you disclose to future partners and are taking the precautions that you can take then it's up to them to make an informed and adult decision. It is annoying but there you go...

I hope this helps a bit!