• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Confused about test

Two weeks ago, I had a swab test done saying I had genital herpes. I had my blood taken about a week after the swab and I had started taking antiviral meds. I waited one week and my blood test says negative? What’s with that? Also my test for HIV came back negative which I want to also be extremely happy about but I’m still doubting because if one test is not right, who’s to say the other one is?

I believe it's because it takes some time for your body to build up enough antibodies to the virus for them to be detectable through a blood antibody test. That is, your infection is too new to show up in blood work. Something like that. As for the HIV, I believe you have to give it some time as well (I believe it's up to three months) from last exposure to be sure you are negative because again it takes some time for the body to build up enough antibodies to either virus to actually be detectable through a blood antibody test (if you are infected). Also, from what I've read is that the antivirals can mess with the blood work. So that may also be the reason you tested positive on the swab and negative on the antibody. But I'm no expert however I've been doing tons of reading on these forums so this is a common scenario. You can look at other posts to be sure.

Not so much a comment but a question, I just took a my annual STD blood test and I do not understand it, or the units of measure. So for HSV-1 IgM Antibodies-my results were Value-9.77 index, the refrence range is 0.0 and then a box says High ??? The HSV-2 IgM antibodies-test results are 1:1titer, and range is 1:1titer. The test was taken at my MDO office and sent out and returned and I happen to notice the results via my Doctors on line portal that patients use for test results, records, etc. Both test say compleated but do not say Positive. I was testest for numerous other STD and they all say"Negative". It also says I should re-test in a few month ? I am on an antibiotice for a stomach infection so my body is obviously fighting infection. This is just my annual STD test along with my physical. Is it safe to say I have HSV-1? Do I need meds? I have no symptoms, look forward to anyones help with my question.

@Tayg

Hello, I've heard that the IGM isn't as good as the IGG blood test. So I believe that in order to know for sure what you have (if you have it) is to give it the window period (12 weeks I believe) then get tested specifically through an IGG blood test for HSV. You can look at the CDC website for how long you should wait to retest. But yeah, from what I've gathered the IGM isn't really good at all for HSV testing through blood. Hope that helps.

Not so much a comment but a question, I just took a my annual STD blood test and I do not understand it, or the units of measure. So for HSV-1 IgM Antibodies-my results were Value-9.77 index, the refrence range is 0.0 and then a box says High ??? The HSV-2 IgM antibodies-test results are 1:1titer, and range is 1:1titer. The test was taken at my MDO office and sent out and returned and I happen to notice the results via my Doctors on line portal that patients use for test results, records, etc. Both test say compleated but do not say Positive. I was testest for numerous other STD and they all say"Negative". It also says I should re-test in a few month ? I am on an antibiotice for a stomach infection so my body is obviously fighting infection. This is just my annual STD test along with my physical. Is it safe to say I have HSV-1? Do I need meds? I have no symptoms, look forward to anyones help with my question.

• 2 weeks later...

@Tayg, IgM tests for herpes are worthless and should be removed from current test menus. They provide no information. It is questionable, if you should even pay for a test that has proven to be no longer valid. You need to have a IgG test for any meanful information