• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

hsv 2 equivocal 1.04

hi, i recently got my results in the mail. i had an hsv 1/2 test and my 1 was negative while hsv 2 was 1.04 equivocal. i called my doctor and he pretty much said i was positive. which was confusing cause he also said the only way to know was if i had lesions which he could swab which i did not have. he also said if i didnt have lesions in my genital area it must be hsv 1. bit i dont have cold sores either. my last contact was around feb 8. im planning on coming back for a test on may 9 so it would give my antibodies time making it 3 months from exposure. does having chicken pox in the past be a factor in this too? thanks.

From what I understand, the IgG blood test is fairly reliable, particularly with differentiating between types 1 and 2. Mine was barely positive but the re-test came back positive as well. I hadn't had an outbreak at the time. My doctor told me I might never have one or I had and it was mild enough I didn't notice. At that time, it had been two months since my last exposure - but transmission could have occurred up to 6 months before testing.

If you're going to re-test, maybe wait another month. It can take up to 16 weeks for your antibody level to test in the positive range. Unless you develop lesions, then have those tested.

Hi, @markh! Re-test on May 9. It’s not 1, doctor sounds a bit confused about type 1and 2. No, chicken pox as a kid doesn’t enter into this. Sorry! False result? Idk, false positives do happen. If I were you, I would re-test, have hope, but also in the meantime conduct yourself as you would if it were positive- because that’s what your results indicate so far. I’d hold off on sex, unless you have a partner who knows what’s going on, or if you want to disclose that you tested positive. It’s possible that you are asymptomatic, or perhaps you had an outbreak that was very mild- not all outbreaks include blisters! Sometimes just itching, or maybe a little bump or two. So, play it safe in the meantime, but re-test. And if it is positive, you will get through this. I know it may feel like the end of the world, but it really isn’t.

Don’t worry. All those things (except toilets) would fall under type 1, which you are negative for, type 2 orally is very rare. Extremely rare. Even if you were positive for 1, those things should only be avoided if you had a cold sore, felt one coming on, or were still healing up from one. Otherwise risk would be low. But that’s all a non issue here! That’s all type 1. Toilets, fine. This should not impact your daily life. Only as far as sex is concerned. Also, as far as sharing your results, that’s up to you- except for sexual partners of course. It’s a very personal decision. I chose not to tell any friends or family. Only you can know what would be best for you.

Yes. I’m sorry. It could have been. That’s why roughly 80% of people with H don’t know they have it- because their symptoms are mild and they think it’s something else. My first outbreak had no blisters- but my second one did. You do need to re-test though to be 100% sure. I know you are feeling hopeless, everyone on here is in the same position, and we’ve all been there. You will be able to date and find a relationship, just as many of us here have. Take a look at the new post, Motivational Post by @happyman_adventurous. Everything he says is true! Things will be ok.

Sorry, what was I thinking... also definitely read Adrial’s e-book and check out his videos. Also Ella Dawson’s video, if you google her it will come right up. @missoceanweaver also recently put up a great post, Judgment Free Zone Only, which sums up how we’ve all felt at one time or another about having H. You aren’t alone. We know what you’re going through.

thank you so much for replying to my comments. I was just wondering if my having auto immune problems has something to do with my results. ive had colitis, psoriasis and tingles in my back for years. my doctor's have never been able to give me an answer and all they say is that its all just stress.

• 2 weeks later...

My first round of test came back as 1.04 meaning I was positive for HSV2 and I started to do research that a low number could be a false positive so I had a second test done 3 months later which came back 1.03. I still didn’t trust the test results and the only real way to be 100% sure it wasn’t a false positive was to do the WesternBlot test. I ended up doing it and it also came back positive so I at least I know for sure I have it and wasn’t left wondering if I truly had H or not.

hi hopefulaz,

sorry to hear about that. i would definitely do that as well. looking into my results, i noticed it was an igm one. im actually going to my primary care doctor tomorrow to request for igg. tomorrow would make it 3 months since my possible exposure. im not feeling hopeful about the results, but like you i guess i just want to see the results saying which one and that it really is positive. right now, i just dont think about it. i refuse to let it affect my daily life. only difference is, i dont see sex the same way anymore.

@markh. The IgM test is worthless, it is unreliable and detects to many false positives and negative. The test should be discontinued. A test result as low as 1.04 on a IgG test has a over 90% chance of being a false positive in the absence of symptoms. However, that is not your value as it was a IgM test. You will need to get a IgG test.

• 2 weeks later...

hi everybody,

so yesterday i received my igg test results in the mail which says i am negative or <90 for both 1 and 2. i know i should probably give it a couple of month and get myself tested again. so if may 9 was supposed to be 3 months since my exposure, when should i get tested again?