• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Adderall Causing Outbreaks

I was diagnosed after sleeping with my first boyfriend in high school. Go figure. Not one OB for 9 years after initial OB. I was prescribed adderall 2.5 years ago to help my cope with chronic fatigue (borderline narcolepsy, let me tell you). After beginning to take it, I immediately broke out in the worst sores of my life that lasted nearly a month. After then, its been atleast once a month, even with Valtrex. I'm starting to lose it. Now its like the floodgates are open and its a constant in my life. Its consuming and no one seems to have any real answers. I mean, 9 years with NOTHING and now its all the time. I want to kiss my sex life and relationship goodbye at this point.

From my knowledge Adderall or any amphetimines really dry out your mucus membranes and also put a lot of stress on your immune system.

As for the constant outbreaks now, I'm in the same boat. :( I went 15 years just about outbreak free and now in my late 30's all of a sudden I'm having constant issues and have been for the last 5 months! I am now taking 1g of Valtrex daily even though my OBGYN and my primary care doc BOTH don't think what I'm dealing with is HSV.

The whole thing is just so frustrating.

• 11 months later...

I have experienced the exact same outcome as you both describe.  I contracted HSV in highschool and am now 48.  I've had probably two or three outbreaks each year since i was diagnosed until last fall when I began taking adderall for what appears to be life long undiagnosed A.D.D.  The stimulant helps tremendously in my ability to focus and get work done but I am now almost continuously broken out with HSV and no matter how much medication I take for it, the outbreaks continue.

It's gotten to the point that my wife is like, the hell with it, I'll just get it from you, we can't go on like this never having sex.  I won't agree to that and I'm proud to say that I've never passed on this horrible virus that someone gave to me without my knowledge.  

That said, surely there's a solution out there for folks with HSV who take stimulants.

Please share if you know of this!

• Like 1
  • 6 months later...

I don’t mean to resurrect this topic from the past, but I too, have been experiencing this. Albeit, from a different drug called Dexedrine, which is just one of the amphetamines used in the Adderall “amphetamine salts”,  isolated. 

Actually, it is Dexedrine that has caused me to have horrible, verbose outbreaks... so bad that it is what caused me discover of herpes to begin with. Before, I would be seen for what they would say, was a yeast infection. And it was recurrent... nowI’ve discontinued it and am going to switch to a safer alternative called modafinil. Of course, it isn’t as effective but it works out ok.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

Hello,

I need help on this topic. I have genital HSV1 and have very rarely (twice in five years) had an outbreak. I recently got prescribed adderall which i desperately needed, and ever since I have been constantly broken out in herpes. I really don’t want to stop taking adderall because it’s changing my life in terms of energy and productivity. Did anyone find a solution for this??? I’m desperate 

• Like 1