• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Outbreaks that look completely different? Possible?

I was diagnosed with herpes about a month ago after having an outbreak. I didn't get a swab because the doctor didn't say anything about it and I didn't know at the time that I should get one, so I don't know what strain it is. But it was clear from looking at it and the symptoms that that's what it was.

The thing is, I had an outbreak years ago and never was sure if it was herpes or not, but since it didn't really look like herpes, never came back, and I got a negative test result (realize now this isn't foolproof), I decided to believe it wasn't.

I'm just curious if anyone knows if my first outbreak could have been herpes. I hate to share all the not-so-fun details, but that outbreak was more like red, scabby sores rather than the whitish, pimply sores I got this time that look more like typical herpes. However, they were also itchy and painful and took around the same amount of time to heal. The only other thing I could think of that it could have been was a yeast infection rash, but I didn't have any discharge.

I suppose at the end of the day it doesn't totally matter, but to be honest, logical or not, it would make me feel better to think that I might have already had herpes rather than that I got it from my current partner.

Would be interested if anyone knows anything about this or what else I could have had before.

Thanks.

I’m currently at the end of my first outbreak, so I can’t say if mine will look different every time, but what I DO know is this current outbreak I’m having looks like I got cuts from a razor around my vulva. My doctor only tested me for herpes because the cuts hurt so bad, but she was sure it wasn’t herpes because I have no sores. What I say is there’s no use dwelling on what it may or may not have been, I think it’s better to focus on what it is now and start your journey to being healthy(: