• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

My only way at peace

Stop whatever it is you are doing and get serious about fixing your state of mind!

Whatever you've tried to help recover your sense of normalcy and self-image have not worked, and you need to start doing a better job of reaching out for support!

You came here for a sympathetic ear, and that's a good start. But it isn't enough for you, personally.

First, you need to give yourself a fair chance at regaining your self respect. You are valuable, desireable, capable and good. You need to give yourself a chance to see it as plainly as everyone else you know does!

Next, really think about if one on one therapy might be a good option for you. If you feel like you can't deal on your own, therapy and counseling is probably a good choice.

Finally, this isn't the last we are going to hear from you, unless you spontaneously start feeling normal again before you have a chance to reply to this thread you made!

And if you wouldn't mind just doing a little exercise with me:

Tell me about your current state of mind.

What are you afraid of?

What hurts when you think about it?

Equally important:

Tell me about what you're proud of.

Tell me about your kids and your marriage.

Tell me about the things you look forward to, or if that isn't so easy, about the things you used to look forward to.

List out the things you like about yourself and the things you hope to, or had hoped to accomplish one day.

We are all in your corner, cheering you on. You can be as specific or as vague as you want to be.

Trust that you aren't the only person who struggled with things and that there is at least someone here who has felt what you're feeling.

If you want, shoot me a private message. I can tell you about my own struggle that had me considering some extreme things. We can talk about how it feels, what kind of thoughts and fears are laying deep under the sadness and anger. We can talk about how to give yourself a chance to regain your pride, happiness and hope for the future.

It's not gone. You're just going through some really difficult things and your feeling some very real emotions. But it's not permanent at all, not if you can do the things you need to do to get yourself through the tough times.

• Like 1

Great to hear that!

I know you will be awaiting your appointment with plenty of anticipation, and probably a lot of curiosity about how things will go.

In the meantime, keep practicing building up your self-image.

An honset fact about myself that might be honest to the point of awkward:

When I'm going through tough times, I literally look at myself in the mirror and say, "I'm awesome". Usually I will do it when things aren't going great, but I'm doing my best to overcome.

It feels really silly at first, but the goal is to hear myself say it, see the things in both my personality and my body that I like, and keep focused on what I have to be grateful for.

Something like "I'm awesome!" And "I'm awesome because I'm dependable and I'm always there for my family." Is usually what I would say to myself. It has quickly become the first step Ibtake when I realize I'm feeling down and struggling to feel good about myself.

There have been many years of struggle that I practiced steering my thoughts toward self appreciation and encouraging myself to see that I'm putting in a really respectible effort in everything, despite circumstances not working out the way I had wanted.

Your method of steering your train of thought and gaining the resilience and self appreiation you need might be totally different, but the "I'm awesomes" as I call it has really helped me. While you wait for your appointment, maybe it would help to try some things like what I do, or other methods of gaining self appreciation. If you already have a few things that work, keep doing that, too.

• Like 1
  • 8 months later...
On 6/14/2018 at 3:07 AM, RegularGuy said:

Great to hear that!

I know you will be awaiting your appointment with plenty of anticipation, and probably a lot of curiosity about how things will go.

In the meantime, keep practicing building up your self-image.

An honset fact about myself that might be honest to the point of awkward:

When I'm going through tough times, I literally look at myself in the mirror and say, "I'm awesome". Usually I will do it when things aren't going great, but I'm doing my best to overcome.

It feels really silly at first, but the goal is to hear myself say it, see the things in both my personality and my body that I like, and keep focused on what I have to be grateful for.

Something like "I'm awesome!" And "I'm awesome because I'm dependable and I'm always there for my family." Is usually what I would say to myself. It has quickly become the first step Ibtake when I realize I'm feeling down and struggling to feel good about myself.

There have been many years of struggle that I practiced steering my thoughts toward self appreciation and encouraging myself to see that I'm putting in a really respectible effort in everything, despite circumstances not working out the way I had wanted.

Your method of steering your train of thought and gaining the resilience and self appreiation you need might be totally different, but the "I'm awesomes" as I call it has really helped me. While you wait for your appointment, maybe it would help to try some things like what I do, or other methods of gaining self appreciation. If you already have a few things that work, keep doing that, too.

You are awesome. I love reading your advice that you give to people... Very encouraging. It's nice to read.