Jump to content
  • Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

    Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

HSV2 outbreak on my lip?

Recommended Posts

Not likely. You sure you only have HSV-2? Did you get a blood test like the IgG or IgM to confirm? I ask because I get herpes outbreaks in both locations (oral & genital — a two-fer!) and I have both HSV-1 and HSV-2. If you only have HSV-2, then there's only a 1% chance that it will be on your lips, too. (In other words, 99% of oral herpes is only caused by HSV-1.) Here's a blog post I wrote for more on that:



... and here's a handout showing the chances of spreading each strain of the virus to the mouth or genitals:


Note: This is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis.
I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Link to comment

Adrial, you are número uno in my book. Thanks for responding so quickly! When I was diagnosed it was from a swab...no blood test. I don't have insurance currently so I did the cheapest testing possible. When I got called back for my results I asked if it was hsv2 and they said yes, but I'm not confident the person I spoke with knew what they were talking about. I intend to call back Monday to verify for certain and once my insurance kicks in (hopefully August) I plan to get blood work done. I've just had some weird stuff goin on inside my mouth and also have a pimple like thing on my lip right now. Don't recall having it before. It's not painful at all so that's why I'm uncertain of a connection between the two. Anyway, thanks for getting back with me so soon! This is an amazing forum!

Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Create New...