• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Antiviral side effects

Hello everyone,

I'm hoping I can get some input here.  I'm going to my doctor next week hoping he'll be willing to prescribe me some antivirals to take as daily suppressive therapy to see if that helps with some prolonged prodrome symptoms that I've been experiencing since November.  I know I can research the side effects of the different antivirals online and ask my doctor, but I want to know from actual users.  I'd appreciate anyone that can tell me how they did or have done on daily suppressive therapy and what are the side effects experienced while on the therapy.  I believe there are three different antivirals currently used as frontline care for herpes.  Is any one better than the other two?  Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Herpes medications in general, especially acyclovir & valacyclovir, are very well tolerated over the long term for most people.  

By the way, there are some people who say they have had troubles with hair loss while on the medication, but it's also hard to pinpoint that to just the meds since high levels of stress can cause hair loss as well. 

Here's a search on other posts about hair loss and medication:
https://forums.herpesopportunity.com/search/?q="hair loss" 

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources: