• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

So I was just told I’m having another outbreak (I *think* this is my third since December) but I also have BV on top of it - love having a vagina! 

Anyway, I’m on acyclovir because Valtrex gave me weird side effects. 

This outbreak started off because of stress, my menstrual cycle, and I think due to sex. I also thought I had a yeast infection at first (I get them frequently) so I tried to treat that with monistat beforehand. I think maybe that irritated things. 

Ive been on acyclovir going on my 4th full day and I have zero relief. Thank god for lidocaine gel. 

I was under the impression after your first OB they become shorter? 

This one is definitely the worst of the three though. I think I have more sores than before, so maybe that plays a role? 

Any other things I can do? 

Thanks in advance! 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Beebsie,

There's so much info and support on the forums, but it's a lot to sift through. I've posted this in other replies. Hope it helps.

"I’m a female and was diagnosed with hsv2 about 4 years ago. My first outbreaks seemed continuous for over 3 months even after taking the antiviral meds.  One lesion would appear, get almost all cleared up when 2 new ones would appear about a quarter inch away. Docs were baffled that it didn't respond to meds, but I have since read that there are resistant strains. My partner who gave me H said the meds didn't work on him either.

I researched and dug around focusing mainly on natural treatments and on the fact that the virus is a living organism that responds to its environment. There are 3 main things that have been useful to me and what I do to prevent outbreaks.

1. I learned that HSV2 prefers a warmer, moister environment than HSV1. This explains the locations where the viral outbreaks "usually" occur (i.e. warm, moist genitals for HSV2) and why it's easier to pass on to women (10-15 % transmission rate) than men (4%.)

2. Both HSV1 & 2, as well as herpes zoster (aka chicken pox/shingles) like to hang out in the nervous system when not active. HSV2 likes the base of the spine particularly so prodrome often shows up as low back ache or nerve pain down the leg.

3. HSV2 likes the amino acid arginine, but not lysine.

My self care routine specifically for HSV2 (not including general health maintenance like exercise) goes something like this:

For active outbreak, make the environment as UNHEALTHY FOR THE VIRUS as possible.

Keep the area as dry and cool as possible. (This is also soothing for painful lesions.)

Sit on a gel ice pack; sleep with it over the affected area. Put a cloth between pack and skin; just needs to be cooler not frozen.

Let a fan blow on the affected area for about a half hour as many times a day as you can stand it. This cools and dries. Watch a comedy on video while you wait. It goes with the ridiculous position you might find yourself assuming in order to fan the area. (Some recommend hair dryers, but they tend to blow warm air.)

During work when you can't do any of the above, place small pad of folded up toilet paper over the lesions (I'm assuming they're in the genital area) so that it stays dry and isn't contacting any other moist areas. Change every time you go to restroom. 

Get lots of sleep especially for active outbreak and prodrome. I drink Nighty Night herbal tea by Traditional Medicinals if worrying prevents me from sleeping. (This is what works for me; not an endorsement.)

I avoid high arginine foods. Unfortunately, this means chocolate. In retrospect, i wonder if my first outbreak went on so long because i was eating so much of my favorite comfort food. Nothing will bring on an outbreak for me faster than eating chocolate 3-4 days in a row. You might have different food triggers. You'll have to pay attention to see if there are any connections.

I take 3000 mg of lysine 3 times per day during OB and prodrome. 3000mg daily for maintenance. Lysine counters arginine so if I forget and indulge in too much chocolate, then I'll take extra lysine.

For my nervous system, I take lemon balm in capsule form (1600mg daily; times 3 during OB or prodrome. ) Lemon balm has traditionally been used as a nerve tonic.

For me, lemon balm seems to help with any nerve pain that might crop up. An ice pack on low back helps too. And because I find the nerve sensations annoyingly exhausting, as well as painful, I'll take naproxen (Aleve) to take down the inflammation.

Avoid stressing your system. Yes, manage the usual stress, but also be diligent about taking care of yourself. For example, if you have allergies, take your meds and avoid allergens. Your body doesn't need to fight allergies AND herpes.

Nowadays, my outbreaks, when I have them, last 7-10 days tops following this protocol. I'm not sure how often I have them anymore; it's become such a non-issue. I can usually pinpoint something I've done like eat chocolate that brought it on. I can also catch it during prodrome and stop a full outbreak from happening."

Good luck!!!