• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

I’m so confused

So I’ve just found out I have herpes.

I've had the same partner for just over a year. He didn’t think anything of mentioning the cold sores he had when he was younger (not had one for 20 odd years) until I had a breakout about 3 weeks ago.

he had no idea that these could be transferred to me. After some confusion and various drs appointments I was diagnosed with hsv 1. It was the most agonising experience I have encountered but he has been amazing throughout. We assumed I had got it from him but after a private blood test his result came back negative!

havkng had my first breakout it suggests on the internet that this would be between 2-20 days of coming into contact with the virus. I’ve not had sex with anyone else and before him I had a period of a few years without a relationship. 

Im very confused. Could his test be wrong or could it have laid dormant in me for potentially 20 years which is how long I was in my relationship before him??

thoughts would be appreciated 

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Annon,

Sorry no one addressed this. You can go for many years in a relationship without passing HSV. If he is actually negative then it's likely you got it before dating him, maybe even when you were a kid, and have been asymptomatic until now.