• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Constant OBs feel hopeless

Posted this in wrong forum before i believe. I was diagnosed in May with hsv2 from someone who promised me they were clean and had full STI panel done, including hsv.    My first Ob was pretty painful (May 8thish), and was promptly put on generic Valtrex. It took beyond the ten day dose to heal and I promptly got another OB a few days later. Now I haven’t had any non-ob days since May. On June 13, went back to Obgyn who put me on generic Valtrex suppressive therapy but at 500mg/daily. Was still getting OBs, increased to 1g daily, and now dealing with an Ob pretty similar/worse than the first since Wednesday. So this is 6 days and still going strong despite 1g Valtrexdaily. I’ve tried everything - Lysine, vitamin C, gabapentin, Benadryl cream, olive leaf extract, coconut oil, tea tree oil, Monolaurin, currently trying the Tagamet treatment just to see if it helps (started Saturday evening). It’s slogtly less painful but I don’t see an end in sight. I am so so so painful and itchy. I literally want to slit my wrists. Please if anyone has suggestions let me know! I have an appointment with my Ob gyn on a Wednesday. I’m pretty sure i also now have a yeast infection. Yay. Considering asking for Shingles Vax or ANYTHING. I can not live like this. I feel like a mutant, afraid to even touch my own body.  I feel unloveable. This is breaking me down. I actually just don’t want to be touched and to be left alone. I want to die. Any suggestions or advice would be so so appreciated. 

• Sad 1

I am so so sorry you’re having such a tough time right now. I completely understand the unlovable mutant feeling but just trust that is NOT the case. I’m also having more OBs here lately and honestly it has to be because I’m worried about OBS. I wish I could offer you more sound advice and I really hope your OBGYN can get you on something to help. Maybe even with just the anxiety of it. I’m also looking into suppressive therapy but I haven’t read much good about it. Keep me posted; feel free to message me anytime!

• Thanks 1

@scaredgirl89 I’m pretty sure I just found another bump (no pain tho and not in normally where i get them) which means another Ob and this one hasn’t even healed yet!!! Now I’m worried i auto inoculated cos it’s not in the same area. GAH. My appointment is tomorrow and I’ve been on suppressive for little over a month with no changes 😞 I hope they help u!!!!

Sigh ... I can’t get off Valtrex - as soon as I stop I end up with an OB. Don’t know what to do, I’m always in burning pain, I think I got mine from my husband 22 years ago - he had a cold sore on his lip & he performe d oral on me —- ughhh young & stupid we were. Anyway my outbreaks are not fluid filled blisters, they r a single burning bump on my buttocks, always . Anyone else with same symptoms? 

I don’t know if it will seem encouraging to you, but it is to me: my latest episode resolved (mostly) after ten days.  They were horrible days, but it was just ten.  My initial experience went on for over two months, and the second one about seven weeks.  This was the third.  I know it isn’t GOOD news, exactly,  it is a dramatic drop and it allows me to believe that this may in fact get more manageable over time.  

I am so sorry you’re hurting.  Coconut oil and ice packs sometimes took the edge off for me, but truly writhing and cursing has been my go-to.  Sometimes a salt bath would distract me and give me a minutes of relief.  I went to a naturopath and I love the passionflower extract he recommended—not for the herpes, but for the stress and worry that go hand in hand with it.  

• Thanks 1

@Hoping are you on any antivirals or anything or did you just let it run it’s course?

i just had a very very mild OB (took the Valacyclovir AS SOON as I felt weird. I wasn’t even sure it was an OB but I’m glad I did)

anyways i still got small red bumps but they never broke open and never even hurt...just look ugly af. And after 4 days they honestly seem to jsht be going away. 

Anyone else have something like this? 

@Hoping I actually had a super vivid nightmare about waking up and my entire lady parts were covered in blisters -ugh- but upon waking up my OB has almost completely diminished. I am so thankful and I honestly chalk it up to the valtrex. 

I am so sorry that your OBs are so bad but hey at least you don’t havw the itchy annoying painful blisters? You said you aren’t on any antivirals? I think that might help you honestly 

Sweetie. I know your pain. My OB been going on for a month and a bit now and ive lost all sight of the bright light at the end of the tunnel.  Ive broken down, lost my mind, hurt myself physically hoping it could take away the pain and it hasnt. 

I find a icepack always helps with the pain ot itching. Plus Lydocaine crea(prescribed by dr) . Its numbs the area so it doesnt itch as much. Its the only way i can pee comfortably. 

• Thanks 1

@ScaredGirl89 thanks, i am taking antiviral, and l-lysine, and another supplement the naturopath recommended.  Thanks for thinking of it.  I am so glad your spots were less severe this time around—hopefully that will continue to improve!

@kinator will you please keep me posted about how you are doing?  I was at the point you’re at a couple of months ago and I hate to hear that you are suffering so much.  I will keep you in my thoughts and I’d be glad to hear from you!

@kinator. @ScaredGirl89  I went to dr on Wednesday, she gave me meds for yeast infection, and QUADRUPLED my suppressive dose of valoxyclovir from 500mg to 2g. Tbh the OB I was experiencing has finally cleared on this dose (started Thursday) but I was SOSO itchy on Saturday night, dunno if psychosomatic, yeast inf (took meds on Thursday tho...) or the hsv. Gah! I’m glad the sores are gone but I still don’t feel quite right down there. I’m still hopeful tho, as fibally have no sores. I’m getting period this week, and had sex for first time yesterday, so I’m hoping I stay in the clear. 

@kinator ru taking antiviral too? I’ve also been taking vitamin D (I’m severely deficient even before hsv) and b12. I’m wondering if this is helpful, though it’s helpful for my body in general. I did read an article about the importance of vitaminD in treating hsv, but I have a hard time finding solid research on hsv treatment in general. Have u tried Epsom salt as well? Spray bottle to the area is helpful sometimes, or I will clean with witch hazel. Hope u feel better soon. This is horrible. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, thissuckswahhh said:

@kinator. @ScaredGirl89  I went to dr on Wednesday, she gave me meds for yeast infection, and QUADRUPLED my suppressive dose of valoxyclovir from 500mg to 2g. Tbh the OB I was experiencing has finally cleared on this dose (started Thursday) but I was SOSO itchy on Saturday night, dunno if psychosomatic, yeast inf (took meds on Thursday tho...) or the hsv. Gah! I’m glad the sores are gone but I still don’t feel quite right down there. I’m still hopeful tho, as fibally have no sores. I’m getting period this week, and had sex for first time yesterday, so I’m hoping I stay in the clear. 

@kinator ru taking antiviral too? I’ve also been taking vitamin D (I’m severely deficient even before hsv) and b12. I’m wondering if this is helpful, though it’s helpful for my body in general. I did read an article about the importance of vitaminD in treating hsv, but I have a hard time finding solid research on hsv treatment in general. Have u tried Epsom salt as well? Spray bottle to the area is helpful sometimes, or I will clean with witch hazel. Hope u feel better soon. This is horrible. 

Witch hazel doesn’t burn you? 

14 hours ago, thissuckswahhh said:

@thissuckswahhhIve been taking famciclovir 250mg 2 times a day as supression therapy, and it hasnt helped. I went into the clinic just this weekend and was given a double dose for 2 weeks until i can see my doctor.  I take epson sit baths. It does seem to help with the pain and itching but not much.  

The new dose from the clinic doctor is starting to clear up my outbreak. So im starting to feel okay again. 

Thank you for the idea of maybe taking vitamin D.  I havent seen that yet. 

@Hoping thank you. And im sorry for the worry i caused. Ive been in a really dark place since january when i got my diagnosis. 

Hello dear,

I’m so sorry that’s happening, I’m also experiencing the same thing, my doctor advised me it was because of summer where I live. The constant moisture of a swimsuit & sweating can cause an OB. I’ve been on the daily 1 gram, it doesn’t seem to be helping. But I’ve found that aloe helps a ton! Try to stay away from bathing, it just irritates it more. If you ever need to talk I’m here! 

• 3 weeks later...

@thissuckswahhh your story and mine is super similar. I am constantly going through an OB since May off and on and no matter what I do its like its getting worse. I've been contemplating about taking my life because of it. I don't know if its my diet that is triggering the OBs or what. Im on supressive therapy and its like its not working. I guess I really need someone to talk to about it, because Im feeling super alone. 

• 1 year later...

I know I’m late to this thread but I am experiencing the same thing and looking for hope/answers. Have things gotten better for anyone here? I was diagnoses with the virus 10 yrs ago. I did 8 years on suppression with acyclovir and had next to no outbreaks (only time was when I was on the pill and it would happen every 4 months almost like a yeast infection). Then the medicine stopped working for no apparent reason and the outbreaks have been more painful than ever and constant. I switched to valacyclovir which helped for 6 months and now the same thing is happening, every month, sometimes every 2 weeks, always during my ovulation week. I take 2000-4000mg of lysine, multivitamins, elderberry, echinacea, olive leaf, cats claw and prunella vulgaris, eat healthy, exercise. NOTHING HELPS. Ive been taking 2g of valacyclovir a day. Does anyone have a solution?