• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Could use inspiration!

Was just diagnosed a few days ago when I had what I thought was strep throat, ended up in hospital with an 104 fever. Has anyone else had it only in the back of their throat? What an experience. Anyway. I’m just playing the waiting game hoping it doesn’t decide to appear anywhere else 😫😫

Hey! There have been people who posted about throat outbreaks, but it's pretty rare since only 1% of all oral herpes cases are HSV-2. What were you diagnosed with HSV-1 or 2?

Check out some of these posts for other experiences:
https://forums.herpesopportunity.com/search/?q=throat 

• Like 1

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources:

6 minutes ago, mr_hopp said:

Hey! There have been people who posted about throat outbreaks, but it's pretty rare since only 1% of all oral herpes cases are HSV-2. What were you diagnosed with HSV-1 or 2?

Check out some of these posts for other experiences:
https://forums.herpesopportunity.com/search/?q=throat 

Well they didn’t type it but I got it from giving my boyfriend oral and he didn’t know he had it 🤦🏼‍♀️ But I’ve never had a cold sore or anything on my gums, just an extreme outbreak at the back of my throat.

Are you sure that it was an actual outbreak in your throat and not just a bad sore throat that would come with a fever and first exposure to the virus? Did they happen to culture it to make sure it was an outbreak in your throat?

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources:

12 minutes ago, mr_hopp said:

Are you sure that it was an actual outbreak in your throat and not just a bad sore throat that would come with a fever and first exposure to the virus? Did they happen to culture it to make sure it was an outbreak in your throat?

Yes they cultured it and it was detected! It was my first exposure.

Ah, got it! You're a rare 1-percenter then. 😉 The good news is if it's HSV-2, the recurrences shouldn't be as bad or as often since that's not a part of the body that HSV-2 prefers to hang out in. Here's a helpful article on that: https://herpeslife.com/hsv-1-hsv-2-types-of-herpes

• Like 1

Helpful resources:

On 7/28/2018 at 12:07 PM, mr_hopp said:

Ah, got it! You're a rare 1-percenter then. 😉 The good news is if it's HSV-2, the recurrences shouldn't be as bad or as often since that's not a part of the body that HSV-2 prefers to hang out in. Here's a helpful article on that: https://herpeslife.com/hsv-1-hsv-2-types-of-herpes

Ahh good to hear! Was devastated! Since you seem to be knowledgeable I have a question. My boyfriend didn’t know he had it and I gave him oral first and then we had unprotected sex. When I discovered that it was a first outbreak in my throat we examined him and it was a single little blister under the head of his penis. Since the first exposure was my throat do you think I probably won’t get it genitally? I haven’t had any symptoms or anything weird down there and my throat is almost back to normal (never got on the meds just hoped to work through the pain etc....it’s been two weeks). I’m hoping it is only exposed to my throat!!!!! Please ease my mind if you can 😉

There's no way to tell for sure, unfortunately. For example, it actually took me years to have a genital outbreak after initially being exposed (that's not too common, by the way; normally the initial outbreak happens within the first few weeks).

But it does tend to be the case that for the majority of people, the area of the body that they had their primary outbreak tends to be the spot that outbreaks will happen in the future since that "route" from the spine to the skin has already been established. After you have antibodies established, then it's also difficult to pass the virus to other parts of your body (called auto-inoculation). Does that help? 

Helpful resources: