• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

No, that’s not the title of a C-rated horror flick. If you’re reading this, then you’ve probably Netflixed and chilled ... on a bag of peas.

Wow. Where do I start? Is it a “Whodunnit”? Perhaps it’s a film with Oucho Marx. Levity, take me away!

All jokes aside, this is my first outbreak (zombie outbreak mind you) and I was just diagnosed a few days ago with genital hsv-1. I’m still freaking out a bit. Let’s just say that less than a week ago I was 100% positive that this demon spawn of an OB (look at me with the lingo!) WAS NOT herrrrpeeeees. Like burpees, yet more hated.

How did I get it? My husband unknowingly passed it onto to me via oral sex. He's has hsv-1 since he was a tot, but was just diagnosed after my symptoms.The answer is right there, but I still find myself asking myself in these early days, 'How, after all this time, did I, ME, catch this awful virus?' It must be punishment. (on bad day). It must be an opportunity (on a good day).

During this whole ordeal, despite my not being able to walk sans pain, I have tried to focus on all I have going for me. I was not brutally murdered in a BART station. My dreamboat of a husband has my back (and my front) like none other. Good job, health insurance, blah blah blah. Can you go back? No time machines yet. Is it curable. None of the stuff Sam Inc. pumps out is. [Little conspiracy theory there for ya]. You good otherwise? Sure am! So it’s settled. This doesn’t define you and you may even be able to use this mf to spur much needed change.

All that being said I would love to hear from folks who are far on the other side of their first horrid ghsv-1 outbreak and from those who contracted it while in monogamous relationships. We're already in marriage counseling so here's another topic of discussion for $165/hour. However, would rather not pack HSV into 50 minutes a week. We need to have healthy, open communication about status that we share. Advice, tips--most welcome. Thanks, all!
  • 2 weeks later...

Had to reply because I enjoyed the title of your post and your writing style. Sorry, I can't help with HSV1 tips. I have the other sort. 

Not sure of it's any consolation, but at least you are still in a relationship while you are going thru this. I got HSV2 after being with my boyfriend for 13 years. He'd had it for 30 years, but I guess it just slipped his mind (grrr.) We were together for 3 more years before he suddenly passed away. Didn't realize it, but I had the opportunity to get adjusted to the idea of having HSV2 without the added pressure of having to tell potential sexual partners. 

It's been a year and a half since he passed and 2 weeks ago I had to disclose to someone for the first time. It was a bit nerve - wracking. From the outset it was going to be a casual, no - strings, temporary thing since he'll be moving to another country in the near future. I didn't feel any sense of investment. When it came to actually disclosing (by text) and he then want interested in sex with me, it occurred to me what a good filter HSV2 and disclosing could be. If someone is truly interested, caring and willing to do the work, then that person mighty just be a keeper. 

That's all I got, NightFury. Good luck!!

(Did you see that Toothless is getting a girlfriend? She's a Light Fury.)

• Like 1

My results just came in positive for HSV-1 a couple days ago and I’m going through an insane outbreak as well!!! I just finished my dosage of antivirals and still nothing’s changed. Been dosing myself with a ridiculous amount of vitamin C and L-lysine just hoping and praying it will go away. If u have any time on how you sped up your first outbreak id love to hear it!! 

• Like 1

Hi there @Catlady12! I feel like I started on acyclovir about 4-5 days too late for it to make any significant difference, but with this being my first outbreak and a very bad one, I can't be 100% certain. I got my diagnosis about 2 days after my doctor prescribed it to me. Vitamin E (100% helped with the healing which was kinda itchy, but not too bad. Some nights I applied an Rx steroid cream called Clobetasol. During the harshest part of the outbreak these were my besties:  Rx Lidocaine, ibuprofen and vicodin, vaseline (a must for me to urinate sans pain), a warm to cool shower--also for urinating sans pain, lots of sleep and rest, tons of water. Doc had prescribed the antiobiotic cephalexin when we thought it was a staph infection. I think that this helped keep the infection part as bay, even though there was zombie like oozings (green pus). About halfway into my OB, I  starting taking lysine, olive leaf supplements, red algae supplements, grapefruit seed extract (oil), and oil of oregano. I know. Seems like a lot! I think they helped---if anything mentally. Good luck to you, dear. I def. feel for you and remember you're not alone. This is so common this virus. Let me know if you have any other questions. 

@LotusBud I'm so glad it could bring a smile to ya and YES, I saw that Toothless is going to have a special friend. Love those movies! I am so sorry to hear that you went through this ordeal. I hope you're now finding your strength from it. Gosh! The things that we have to go through in order to grow. I would have liked for this growth spurt to have never happened, but here we are! And I can see the silver lining. 

I am very grateful for my life partner. We just have to work out how he'll try to stay OB free. And I have to figure out how not to freak about any tiny mouth sore he may have. It's gonna be a journey!

• Like 1