• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

A month after dx, my first bf

I've been meaning to write this for years!  Every time I jump back on here I remember how super important these success stories are.

A few years ago, I was 27 and had never had a long-term partner.  I got used to feeling that I was undateable and that casual sex would be the path for me.  Fine.  Well, then I get my dx. Fun.  

I had just moved into a group house with a bunch of hysterical guys who were turning into wonderful friends. One month after my dx, it was the Super Bowl and one of the roommates and I got quite hammered and started hooking up in bed.  I told him, listen, I have this thing.  He's like, well, we don't know I don't have it.  And I'm too old to worry about these things (38y/o) and I like you.

We dated for almost 2 years.  My first relationship, and right after a dx. We broke up, not because of H.  Honestly, I don't know if I would have done the relationship thing if we hadn't been so cool with my dx and made me see things differently - other reasons to date someone besides sex and a sense of humor, and that someone might care for me because of..me.

It's going to be ok.

• Like 1

Thank you so much for sharing this! And good on you for disclosing. You're so right. Success stories are so important for newbies to hear. It helps balance out the crazy monkey mind of worst case scenario worries! 🙂 

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources: