• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Hello everyone,

I recently found out I have genital herpes after going to the dr for a "UTI" that didn't clear up after meds. It was caught a week and a half after the first (painful!) symptoms. How long does the first outbreak typically last? Thankfully, it's not as painful but it's incredibly itchy? I've tried a warm epson salt bath, hydrocortisone cream, and ice packs (they help the most) but the relief only lasts minutes. Does/did anyone face this issue too?

As for dating,  how long after the sores disappear is it okay to have sex? I'm currently active on dating sites and don't want herpes to stop me, otherwise I'd never get back out in the dating scene. I've already done a lot of research and know that the virus can shed off me at anytime even without sores present and it can be spread when in contact with an open wound or mucosal membrane like someone's eyes, mouth, or genitals.

I feel lost. I'm having a hard time with the itchiness and the constant worry of spreading it.

Hey there! Sorry to hear about the itch! Another route to take is to search the forums for other people who have already posted about itchiness. There have been a lot of discussions so far about it. Here's a pre-filled search for you: https://forums.herpesopportunity.com/search/?q=itch&sortby=relevancy&search_in=titles

As for your other question, I usually wait about a week after sores heal up before having sex again. I've heard elsewhere that it's technically safe even a few days after, but I like to round up to be sure I'm keeping my wife as safe as possible. 🙂 

• Like 1

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources: