• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Do I have HSV2?

I hope this post helps someone out here.

5/7/18 I received oral sex only from a female, I’m a male. She has done before. She’s not my girlfriend.

Less than a week later I discovered a hair bump above my genitals, pubic hair area. I removed hairs from and it scabbed over and healed. It was not a blister.

I also, days later? noticed armpit, groin and anal itching but no bumps. I was drenched from yard work and assumed it was jockitch like before. Not bumps or blisters.

My girlfriend had an std screening 7/21/18, all ok but on 8/14/18 developed a rash on her neck that the doctor said is eczema. 8/17/18 now redness on her inner thighs but not vagina.

8/7/18 I went to ophthalmologist for pink eye, he said bacterial and penguecula from overexposure to sunlight after an exam (slit lamp?). 

I took a hsv1&2 test on 8/1/18

hsv1 was 34 igg

hsv2 was 1.52 igg —

hsv2 supplemental/ reflex test done and was negative 8/6/18.

Syphilis, hep a, b and c all negative 

Am I overreacting? I hope it was detailed enough 

So I believe you are positive for hsv1 for sure. Which could be oral herpes or genital.  Your igg for hsv2 is low but the value still registered.  I know depending on which kind of test you took Determines if your 1.52 is considered like a false positive or a real positive. I know I found a site that stated IGg testing of a .90-1.09 is required more testing in 10-14 days because that inconclusive. 1.10 and higher means it was detected and considered as current or previous infections. Review your labs and look at the ranges the sheet provide. I did a general search for “HSV igg testing ranges” and found that info

Thanks for responding. I read the same things too. 

Labcorp test was 1.52 so a supplemental test was done which came back negative. 

The doc also said the hsv2 numbers could have been affected by the high hsv1 numbers for the initial test. It was a labcorp igg test and a reflex/supplemental follow up test. 

The supplemental test said negative, so the igg was a false positive? Doc said likely so.

your thoughts?

Good question. If those symptoms were due to an outbreak, would that explain the numbers?

I remember years ago I was told by a doc that I had hsv1 but she said everyone had high numbers. 

Is 33.40 hsv1 considered extremely high? 

Again, thank you.

Well your results are from labcorp so I don’t know there ranges. My igg test from my lab is 4.7 that’s quest lab. I’m sure the ranges are different so I can’t tell if that be high without a reference. But if it is high then yes it could have been because hsv1 was causing your symptoms. And I have hsv1 genital so it really no different than having hsv2 down there

On 8/21/2018 at 5:10 PM, beBravebeBOLD said:

Well your results are from labcorp so I don’t know there ranges. My igg test from my lab is 4.7 that’s quest lab. I’m sure the ranges are different so I can’t tell if that be high without a reference. But if it is high then yes it could have been because hsv1 was causing your symptoms. And I have hsv1 genital so it really no different than having hsv2 down there

Apparently it can be a bit different. People with HSV2 are more likely to have recurrent outbreaks and more frequently and more severe. I believe. 

Yes you are correct, in theory hsv1 is milder and less pesty than hsv2. But I’m a 16yr vet with hsv1 genitally and my H started out mild like one would imagine with hsv1 but in the last 5 years my hsv1 has been constantly active down low so in fact for ME. Hsv1 is just like hsv2 at this point...