• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Herpes in the Black Community

28 minutes ago, PhoenixRising_009 said:

@SeraLyn your responses are always so amazing to me! I didn't want to reply to every single one, but it is so helpful reading how you've dealt with this diagnosis and how it has not run your life. I'm fairly new--almost two months of being diagnosed--but it's nice to see affirmation that this does not have to be the worst thing to happen to me if I don't allow it. 

Everyone chiming in on this forum is so encouraging. The more I read about this virus the less shame or fear I feel because you'd be hard pressed to find someone who doesn't have any strand of this virus. I was just in a bookstore the other day and heard this woman talking on the phone about her shingles (herpesvirus) and how her daughter basically has genital herpes, then I found out mono is a strand of the virus. Basically, if you come into human contact with anyone you will be exposed to some strand of the virus. This stigma sucks a lot but I continue to remind myself that it's not going to kill me and although people don't talk about the strand we have as openly as the other strands I will be all right. 

I feel like I go on loooong tangents every time I check in lol, but I'm so overloaded with information now I can't help but 1. be grateful I was not diagnosed with something life-threatening and 2. accept the fact that regardless if I come into contact with someone who believes they're hsv negative (and maybe even be) not dealing with me does not stop them from being exposed to the virus. 

Ok, enough of the long messages lol. Thank you ladies soooo much for being on here and sharing your words. 

Very nicely worded!! I second this!!!

Thanks for always being so encouraging @SeraLyn

9 minutes ago, PhoenixRising_009 said:

Thank you! I've been taking 1g 2x a day because I felt like another OB was coming on. That's the next phase I guess I'm in, trying to decipher what's a sign of an OB and just an itch or something

Same here! I'm trying not to be obsessive but I find myself checking everyday because now I'm so sensitive to every feeling all over🤦🏾‍♀️

7 minutes ago, Whymewhynow said:

Same here! I'm trying not to be obsessive but I find myself checking everyday because now I'm so sensitive to every feeling all over🤦🏾‍♀️

Same!! Every weird feeling or ache in my back and I'm like shit, an OB bout to happen. I guess on the positive side I've basically been scared into eating more healthily, drinking water, and going to bed. If this has done one thing for me, it's helped me take better care of my body. 

1 hour ago, Whymewhynow said:

Have you waxed again since May?

Yes. I just stopped in December. From June-January, I had 3 outbreaks. My gynecologist initially thought I had infected hair follicles. Again, it may be coincidental but I think waxing is correlated to the outbreaks (for me). I go to EWC  too. 

24 minutes ago, Lstgryl said:

Yes. I just stopped in December. From June-January, I had 3 outbreaks. My gynecologist initially thought I had infected hair follicles. Again, it may be coincidental but I think waxing is correlated to the outbreaks (for me). I go to EWC  too. 

Do you take suppression Med?

26 minutes ago, PhoenixRising_009 said:

Same!! Every weird feeling or ache in my back and I'm like shit, an OB bout to happen. I guess on the positive side I've basically been scared into eating more healthily, drinking water, and going to bed. If this has done one thing for me, it's helped me take better care of my body. 

It's funny that you mention that. Ironically, when I ate terribly I never had OB's. Hell, o didn't even know I had it. I changed my eatting habits a little over a year ago. No red meat, pork and limited fried foods and NOW I start having OB's🤷🏽‍♀️

11 minutes ago, Whymewhynow said:

It's funny that you mention that. Ironically, when I ate terribly I never had OB's. Hell, o didn't even know I had it. I changed my eatting habits a little over a year ago. No red meat, pork and limited fried foods and NOW I start having OB's🤷🏽‍♀️

That's so strange! I've got a few more days of the meds to take then I guess I need to learn my triggers. I don't think I want to be taking this medication every day of my life, so I've been eating healthier to try to keep my immune system up. My friend's mother in Houston makes this natural serum that she uses and says she only has like 1-2 OBs a year so I'm going to get some of that. 

4 minutes ago, PhoenixRising_009 said:

That's so strange! I've got a few more days of the meds to take then I guess I need to learn my triggers. I don't think I want to be taking this medication every day of my life, so I've been eating healthier to try to keep my immune system up. My friend's mother in Houston makes this natural serum that she uses and says she only has like 1-2 OBs a year so I'm going to get some of that. 

I thought that was strange too, but in all of the stories and posts I've read it just seems that Hsv reacts to differently for everybody. It's no wonder people don't know or realize they may have it. 

Does your friend's mother have a store? I live in Houston.  I'm willing to try almost anything. I don't want to take medication the rest of life either but at the moment I am too scared to stop taking it. 

I’ve been reading through this thread and I really feel the positive vibes. I’m a African American male recently diagnosed with genital HSV1 from receiving oral sex. It’s been tough to say the least sense being diagnosed. I never did any research on HSV until I got it. Guess it’s one of those, ignorance is bliss things until you get it. I searched two different forms on HSV, started to think I was the on black person with it. Anyone in Florida?

19 minutes ago, Braino said:

I’ve been reading through this thread and I really feel the positive vibes. I’m a African American male recently diagnosed with genital HSV1 from receiving oral sex. It’s been tough to say the least sense being diagnosed. I never did any research on HSV until I got it. Guess it’s one of those, ignorance is bliss things until you get it. I searched two different forms on HSV, started to think I was the on black person with it. Anyone in Florida?

Hi @Braino many of us probably share that same sentiment, at least I do. I never thought twice about hsv until my dx. When you look at the statistics we all probably know at minimum one other person with it, even if they never admit it. 🤷🏽‍♀️ 

Sorry, I'm in Houston but this forum definitely helps to not feel alone in this, so welcome and sending positive energy your way!

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Whymewhynow said:

Hi @Braino many of us probably share that same sentiment, at least I do. I never thought twice about hsv until my dx. When you look at the statistics we all probably know at minimum one other person with it, even if they never admit it. 🤷🏽‍♀️ 

Sorry, I'm in Houston but this forum definitely helps to not feel alone in this, so welcome and sending positive energy your way!

Same. I never thought about it really beyond something you didn't want although I never really knew what it was. Now I feel like the most informed person. 

Welcome @Braino, you certainly are not alone. This thread is definitely a helpful sense of support. I live in the midwest. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Braino said:

welcome to the party Braino! 🙂 Here to offer all the support necessary!

• Like 1

Hey Hey H Fam!

re: waxing again - I talked to my girl today and she hair type really wouldn't be a factor to causing outbreaks since outbreaks are mainly caused from stress.  the waxing could be causing physical or mental stress that triggers an ob though.  Of course, everyone is different so you kinda gotta see what happens.  For reference, she's been getting waxed for almost a decade and hasn't had an OB after waxing.

hope that helps! I swear I'm gonna get waxed soon (once I'm patient enough to stop shaving 🙂 )

3 hours ago, PhoenixRising_009 said:

I was wondering if anyone wouldn’t mind sharing what/how they treat and prevent their OBs. I’m super new and don’t want to rely on daily antivirals, so was hoping a few of you all may have natural remedies you use. 

sorry, wish I could chime in 😞 I'm dating an H- person and taking dailies

4 hours ago, PhoenixRising_009 said:

I was wondering if anyone wouldn’t mind sharing what/how they treat and prevent their OBs. I’m super new and don’t want to rely on daily antivirals, so was hoping a few of you all may have natural remedies you use. 

I wish I knew! I take daily antivirals as well.🤷🏽‍♀️ I have seen that people take lysine, vitamin c, vitamin d, zinc, red marine algae, lemon balm, oregano, probiotics ....seems like a whole bunch of supplements to me. Not sure what combination actually does the trick.

30 minutes ago, SeraLyn said:

Hey Hey H Fam!

re: waxing again - I talked to my girl today and she hair type really wouldn't be a factor to causing outbreaks since outbreaks are mainly caused from stress.  the waxing could be causing physical or mental stress that triggers an ob though.  Of course, everyone is different so you kinda gotta see what happens.  For reference, she's been getting waxed for almost a decade and hasn't had an OB after waxing.

hope that helps! I swear I'm gonna get waxed soon (once I'm patient enough to stop shaving 🙂 )

Thanks!! This is slightly encouraging. I think I might go for it. It's easier to see what's happening down below that way🤦🏾‍♀️

17 hours ago, Whymewhynow said:

Thanks!! This is slightly encouraging. I think I might go for it. It's easier to see what's happening down below that way🤦🏾‍♀️

I've also been scared to get sugared ever since my diagnosis and August because it typically does mess with my nerves (its a lil painful) and I can see myself getting a little overwhelmed so since I saw so many people posting that it could be a trigger ( dont wanba chance it) I just went ahead and bought me a set of Clippers and I've just just cutting it low until maybe I'm about six months in and then I'll revisit the thought of maybe trying sugering again but for now these Clippers are going to have to do the job🤷🏽‍♀️.