• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

How do peanuts affect herpes outbreaks?

Nigella everyone is different. I really don't have a problem eating nuts. For me it's kind of trial and error. I had read all nuts and peanut butter. But I have not had a problem. I used to not eat them. I would eat popcorn or peanut butter and be waiting for some H to come out and nothing. It was all in my head. Information is great but sometimes it makes us more paranoid.

Ah, the whole lysine/arginine thing. :) When I first got herpes, I was all about trying to avoid all the things with arginine and eat more of the things with lysine. Then I realized I liked a lot of the things with arginine in them and didn't want to curb what my body naturally craved. And I personally didn't notice any uptick in outbreaks. Many people do claim that those amino acids do have an effect on herpes, but as far as I've heard, there hasn't been a definitive study that has been run to prove any of it, right? Anyone been able to find any evidence?

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources:

Here's a great website that helps define foods that should be consumed as well as avoided, to keep HSV at bay. They discuss the arginine topic. Generally speaking, The advice is fantastic for your health with or without HSV :)

www.herpes-coldsores.com/diet_and_nutrition_with_herpes.htm

I didn't have any outbreaks 18 months after my first one. I didn't even know then that food can cause an outbreak until a month ago. I ate the same food that I have eaten before I got HSV and didn't get an outbreak. I think it's more of thinking that you will get an outbreak after eating something and then really getting it because of stress. I think you can eat anything as long as it is in moderation. If something causes an outbreak once, I think you need to try again just to make sure that it is from eating something and not caused by something else, such as stress. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

every body react diffrently but i have to say i am getting getting more outbreaks when i eat pistachio, i love them but now i try to avoid them .For me the biggest trigger is alcohol, when i am drinking to much, I feel the next day much more symtoms then usually.....i guess everything what brings you immun system down is bad but we cant live like nuns :) :) see if you get more symtoms when you eat nuts ,if you dont.....then eat them :)