• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

IgG HSV-1/HSV-2 Positive

I just got my results back for my first SPECIFIC herpes test, and I'm IgG positive for both strains, but IgM negative for both strains and I've never had an outbreak (cold sores or genital). The PA-C that I talked to today said that means I've been exposed to the virus, but I currently do not have it. What I'm confused on is, she told me that if I gave someone oral (who has HSV-2 genital), then I would only get HSV-1 oral. But the other PA-C I talked to last night says that these days either strain can cause the other (HSV-1 can cause genital and HSV-2 can cause oral). I know I've been exposed to HSV-1 through my ex (he had cold sores frequently and would accidentally kiss me/share food/drinks), but I don't know how I contracted HSV-2? Is that strictly through intercourse? I usually give oral before having sex with someone and I've never seen visible/open sores on anyone. The other thing I'm confused about is that the female PA said its highly unlikely I contracted HSV-2 from someone who wasn't showing symptoms but online I've read of asymptomatic shedding and that it's still possible? 

There is someone that I've been having unprotected sex with someone for a couple months now and what are the chances that I passed on both to him? I don't know if he's ever gotten IgG testing for herpes before, but I don't want him to blame/hate me if he sees that his IgG values are positive but his IgM values are negative? 

First off, take everything the medical community tells you with a grain of salt.  Most, even some experts, operate with out dated and basic knowledge of herpes.  Read up on actual research and case studies and read through forums and listen to others that are infected.  Those are your true experts.  

From my understanding, it's impossible to have positive igg results and negative igm results.  igm tests for the presence of either and either 1 or 2 will trigger the positive.  igg will test for specific type, so if you have positive 1 or 2 igg it should trip the positive on igm.  The most reliable test is the Western Blot which is to be done after the 16 week mark but it's not as readily available as igg tests.  So, if you're getting conflicting reports via igg/igm I would go with the WB.

Also, it is very possible to contract hsv2 from someone that is not showing symptoms, which is why this virus is so prevalent and will continue to be prevalent.  And condoms are not that much of a barrier as simple genital to genital contact is all that's required to pass along hsv2.  

It's impossible to know what his chances of contracting it are or if he already has it.  The only way to tell is through testing.....and as you've seen.....that can be unreliable.  Welcome to the world HSV.

In summary, I would get the WB test and another igg test and go from there. Good luck...wishing you the best!

• Like 1

The IgM is worthless. Throw out those results. The IgG is more reliable. That being said the IgG is not full proof. If the results are 3.5 or below and you’ve never shown physical signs of herpes there is a 40% chance of a false positive. The Western Blot is even more definitive. You’ll have to pay out of pocket for it. Google Terri Warren of the Westover Hieghts clinic. She can set you up for the test. She is one of the foremost authorities on herpes and can answer your questions.

Good luck!

57 minutes ago, ihaveittoo said:

The IgM is worthless. Throw out those results. The IgG is more reliable. That being said the IgG is not full proof. If the results are 3.5 or below and you’ve never shown physical signs of herpes there is a 40% chance of a false positive. The Western Blot is even more definitive. You’ll have to pay out of pocket for it. Google Terri Warren of the Westover Hieghts clinic. She can set you up for the test. She is one of the foremost authorities on herpes and can answer your questions.

Good luck!

I'm past the CDC index range, so does that mean mine is more than likely not a false positive?  I don't doubt having HSV-1 since my ex had cold sores pretty often and would accidentally kiss/share food with me. But I like to think I've been pretty careful about HSV-2....

I’m not entirely sure. Terri Warren could probably give you a good answer. She has over 30 years experience studying and treating herpes. She has a forum of her own that you can ask questions.

You might also try retesting again in a month or two and see if there is any differences in the results. I’m an oddball in the fact I’ve had three different outbreaks swabbed and they all came back negative. After 27 years I had an IgG that came back 5.0 which is a pretty definite positive. Wish testing was more reliable but it is not.