• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Testing Accuracy

I have a question regarding the accuracy of blood tests for herpes (I tried asking a follow up question in my other thread, but didn’t get a response); is the IgG blood test most likely conclusive six weeks after possible exposure? Ever since I signed up here, I’ve seen many users say you need to wait at least 12-16 weeks for this test to be accurate. But the more and more I read online, and also from speaking to doctors who are knowledgeable about herpes, seem to suggest that the test is extremely accurate, if not conclusive after six weeks.

I actually just got an IgG test done at about the six week mark (five weeks and three days to be exact) and my test came back negative, written as <0.91. I ask this question, one, because I would like to know if I should put any faith in the test I just had done, and two, just for the sake of educating myself. Any information regarding this is highly appreciated!

@Ice2423 Do you have any symptoms? Did you also test via swab? I am asking this because I have yet to test positive via IGG blood and I have all the symptoms of HSV - hives at groin, nerve pain, flu symptoms and the list goes on! 

If you are worried, I would get a western blot, which I am planning on doing soon since I had 3 negative IGG blood tests.

2 hours ago, Stupida said:

@Ice2423 Do you have any symptoms? Did you also test via swab? I am asking this because I have yet to test positive via IGG blood and I have all the symptoms of HSV - hives at groin, nerve pain, flu symptoms and the list goes on! 

If you are worried, I would get a western blot, which I am planning on doing soon since I had 3 negative IGG blood tests.

I don’t have any of the classic symptoms. The only thing that’s been happening for a while is from time to time, I get a stinging pain in my penis and groin area. I also have had nerve pain from time to time.

Out of curiosity, how long ago were you potentially exposed?

On 9/11/2018 at 11:40 AM, Stupida said:

Did you ever get a swab? What were you results? 

@Loyalloulou yes, I got tested via swab at cervix and via anus, but came back negative. When I went in at first the doctor said I was very yeasty down there and she swabbed for yeast only and it was negative. She never swabbed for HSV during that time that I asked her to do.

Doctors confuse yeast infections and HSV all the time.