• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Urinary pain & constipation with outbreak?

SPlife

Does anyone else get horrible constipation and have trouble urinating with outbreaks? I've had 3 UTI tests, all have come back negative, but my urethra HURTS, and doesn't want to release urine, and I can't empty my bladder completely. I've been to the doctor 3 times in the last 3 weeks, and besides Valtrex, they just give me laxatives. I have only had 3 BMs in the last 3 weeks.

I'm in throws of my first outbreak. It's been over 3 weeks. My anus is covered in open, burning, painful sores. I've been taking Valtrex for 3 weeks.

So, is this normal for outbreaks, or is this a side effect of Valtrex?

Also, will this pain ever end, and the sores ever heal? Because it feels like it's here for good. This is the deepest depression I've been in, and it feels like there's no end in sight to this misery. I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. I have nobody to talk to about it, so thanks in advance. 

@SPlife  Hey, sorry to hear bout your situation but youre in the right place for answers and support . From what ive read so far on this site , the first outbreak is usually the worst and lasts the longest. Im assuming you have HSV 2 ? I have genital hsv 1 and im having constipation right now and possibly another OB . i stopped taking valtrex after it started giving my kidneys uppercuts to the nuts so it could be a side effect. Hopefully someone else can chime in with more info , i just wanted to be the first to let you know youre not alone 💜

Thank you so much for your support! Yes, I was diagnosed with HSV-2.

That's too bad it could be a side effect of Valtrex, but I'm glad to hear I'm not alone. I'm afraid to stop taking it, I don't want it to spread even further than it already has.  I'm sorry to hear you're going through something similar. 

Thanks again! ❤️

• 2 weeks later...

I'm currently wrapping up my initial OB (3 weeks in).  I went on valtrex 36 hrs. Into the OB (1 gram twice a day).  Became constipated at the beginning of week 2.  I thought it was the valtrex but cant be sure.  I stopped taking it yesterday and had a BM today.  It might be that the OB is over or that I'm off the meds.  If my next OB is not bad I might not use the meds to see what happens.

I’m about 3 weeks into my first outbreak, was on acyclovir for 10 days. First 1-2 weeks I was so swollen which I think was causing the constipation. Swelling is down now and still not back on my regular BM cycle which is typically every day or every 1-2 days. I have oral and genital hsv2

Yes that definitely can be from outbreaks. Somewhat common symptoms. Diarrhea as well. Although maybe it's the other way around and ur uti's r causing u to have more outbreaks?  But the valtrax can b doing it also. Just know that those  r 3 answers u can work out and figure out for future knowledge. I personally am on acyclovoir so I don't know from personal experience what valtrax does. And I can't believe they haven't prescribed u an ointment for ur anus out break. That's something they should have helped u with.  Or were u too embarrassed in telling them u had outbreaks there?  Ointment will help u an ok amount.  Won't completely take away that pain  but it helps.  And as far as will it always be that bad most likely not. Everyone is different. It might be a while til ur body gets a decent handle on it.  Or hopefully ur body is one that has more control over it.