• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Ghsv1 or oral?

6 years ago I had a strange rash appear below and I received a visual diagnosis from a doctor saying it was herpes . I didn’t receive any tests or medication & now I’m my adult hood I do have hsv1 . So should I assume it’s Ora or genital ? I haven’t had nothing weird down there happen since that one time 6 years ago . .

Hey @Justawomen,

HSV-1 can show up either orally or genitally (in fact more than 50% of new genital herpes cases are HSV-1 from oral sex). So it's impossible to say strictly from a blood test which area of your body would be contagious. Those are the 2 sides to the coin: It's great that you aren't having outbreaks, but also not so great that you can't definitively locate where you're shedding virus without having an outbreak. So when you disclose to partners, tell them just that. That you are a carrier of HSV-1, which can either be oral or genital, but since you haven't had an outbreak, you don't know for sure. 

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources:

It's definitely a pet peeve that doctors do visual diagnoses when so many visual diagnoses are just plain wrong. 😕 

Insisting on getting a swab test when there's an actual outbreak will give you a definitive result if there's enough to culture. 

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources:

Will do , what looks common to ghsv that they are able to confuse it with ? I figured it was not legible (not saying he was wrong but he could be right or wrong ) I wasn’t even prescribed any medications so I’ve never been on any medication the whole six years & I haven’t received any sores or anything . & I’ve had major stressors IM TALKING ABOUT SOME SERIOUS STUFF.  Maybe a itch hear or there when my pubic hairs grow but nothing that caught my eye as irregular . @mr_hopp