• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Questions about outbreaks and maintence therapy

I was just diagnosed due to an outbreak about 3 weeks ago with HSV2. I was put on acyclovir 400mg 3x’s a day for 10 days. The clinic prescribed valacyclovir 500mg once daily for a maintence therapy. I was researching that you should allow time for you body to build up a response to the virus. For that reason I didn’t start the maintenance after my 10 days were up. I’m so new to this so I don’t completely understand all my symptoms yet. I get itchy and tingling still since the initial outbreak. Does that mean it never cleared from the initial OB or could it be that another one came right after except this time without lesions? Also, my main question is if I start the maintence therapy 500mg once a day and I have another outbreak , do I need to call the doctor to be prescribed something different/ or for more of the dose I am taking? Or do I just continue the normal dose?

this has been such a lonely and sad process for myself and my head is spinning with trying to figure out everything I need to know. I have been so overly cautious as if I can infect everything I touch. Thanks in advance for everyone’s guidance

Hi C030R

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis!

When I was diagnosed I just took the 10 day course & did not do maintenance therapy.
I'm 8 years in & have a mild OB once a year now days.

I think its fairly normal to have some itchiness & tingling after your first OB.

If you do decide to take the maintenance therapy (it wouldn't hurt to for a while anyway) & you have an OB,
Yeh call your Doctor, no harm in that.

You can't infect everything you touch, it is a skin to skin virus.

I know it is a lonely place but coming on here can really help!

Be strong & I wish you the best of luck

Hey @C030R — Taking daily suppressive therapy will remain the same dose over time. The good news is that your body is building up immunity over time to herpes via antibodies. So regardless of whether you're on medication or not, there will be more outbreaks earlier in having herpes than later. Medication just lessens viral shedding (and thus outbreaks) by about 1/2. Ultimately, there are only 2 reasons to take medication. Here's an article I wrote on that: https://herpeslife.com/herpes-medication/ 

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources: