• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Useful Info on Obtaining a Western Blot

1 hour ago, Jenn88 said:

Once I take the test what would it mean if my results were negative? Does that mean I was misdiagnosed? It cleared my system? 

According to the woman I spoke with at UW, the blood test I had done has up to a 54% false positive rate...which is insane!

The Western Blot is the gold standard test, and has 3 scientists looking at the cells through microscopes. If they come back and say "Negative", then to me, that is the end of the debate, and it's negative. There is always potential for a blood test to be wrong. Not as likely with 3 separate scientists evaluating the same specimen.

I'm going to have the Western Blot done. I already have my kit. Now just have to make the appointment and pay the money. I figure with the cost of the test, added with the cost of the shipping and the appointment to have the doctor fill out the paperwork and have the blood drawn, it will end up costing about $400.

• 2 months later...

So did you have the test to confirm you are positive hsv1? Or to confirm you are negative for hsv2? Were you negative for both? I'm at 16 weeks, I have tested every 2 weeks since hsv2 exposure, and all my results for iGG have been negative, below 0.2 is all it says. My doctors have told me I'm negative, to accept it, and to move on with life. I haven't had any sores, just random symptoms, like itchy pubic area and random things here and there, but nothing traditional. I also didn't even have sex, just a lot of thigh rubbing... and naked cuddling, but I am still very stressed. Waiting for my 16 week results to come in tomorrow, fingers crossed they're the same as the last 8 tests I've had, and then I'm trying to decide if it's time to close this door. I know the typical iGG tests are only 92% positive, from what Terry has said. I wonder at times if I should just do the Western Blot, or if I am making a mountain... 

• 1 month later...

My doctors and Terri Warren actually completely disagree. I had a positive pcr  but at 18 weeks out was still having negative blood test. I've spoke with numerous (more than 15) doctors and nurses about valtrex's effects on igg test. Terri Warren says they alter your igg and every other doctor and nurse I talked to disagree. I told my doctor about her thoughts and how she is an hsv expert. She went home and did over an hour of research on her. She said she isn't a doctor but instead a nurse practitioner and she doesn't believe she is any more of an expert than her nurse practitioner. She also said MD have alot more schooling and education about virology. I am doing another igg test at  24 weeks. I am always waiting till I'm off of valtrex for 12 weeks and getting the western blot if my 24 week test is negative. Anyone else ever had a situation like this.