• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Negative blood test positive culture

Hi I had  And outbreak last week I went to the doctors and got my results today. My blood test came back negative for hsv however the culture of my sore came back positive for hsv1.  My gynecologist explained to me that the blood test only determines whether or not you have type 2 genital herpes. My question is to all the people who have tried alternative medicine, the hydrogen peroxide remedy or anything Else out there that claims to cure herpes how do you determine whether or not you still have it in your system or not if it wont come up in your blood tests?  

Hi

At the moment sadly nothing cures Herpes!
& that's the problem as blood tests are unreliable the only sure fire  way is a culture
& if its gone you wont get an OB.

For me I don't believe in all these remedies that are meant to cure it but if they work as a placebo effect
then, there's no harm in doing them.

Good luck

@AmandoYes I know, However there are ppl out there who have claimed to cure their hsv1 through alternative medicine and mention both how they tested positive and then negative (blood tests) after treatment. My doctor told me that the blood test only tests for hsv2 so unfortunately if you don't have an hsv1 outbreak there's no way to test and see if you have it or not. So my question is how are these ppl showing blood test results of how they no longer have hsv1 if it can't be determined through blood tests?

@Loyalloulou I  Completely understand I was diagnosed with HSV-1 but it is down there most likely got it through oral. my break out is not painful did not itch its literally just there. My  Doctor gave me a choice Of whether or not I wanted to take anti rivals but she also explained that with HS V-1 the breakouts are less frequent and that I should monitor my breakouts before I decide to get on any medication because I might not really need them. she said I can go years without having a breakout while not on medication so that's what I'm going to do.

I tested positive for hsv1 (blood work) & negative for hsv2. This was before I had an OB then I had a cycle and things went downhill from there. I am currently experiencing my first OB and I am in pain. I had to go to 3 doctors before finally the 3rd believed I was having an OB and gave me a prescription. They took cultures yesterday and I’m just waiting for the results, I’m pretty sure they will be positive. 

How long does it take before you start getting relief on Valtrex?

11 minutes ago, Dreamer07 said:

I tested positive for hsv1 (blood work) & negative for hsv2. This was before I had an OB then I had a cycle and things went downhill from there. I am currently experiencing my first OB and I am in pain. I had to go to 3 doctors before finally the 3rd believed I was having an OB and gave me a prescription. They took cultures yesterday and I’m just waiting for the results, I’m pretty sure they will be positive. 

How long does it take before you start getting relief on Valtrex?

That sucks @Dreamer07 but I believe you i had 2 doctors tell me it was just a rash meanwhile theres clearly a cluster of little blisters. I'm currently getting over my hsv1 outbreak. I'm sorry that you are in pain. I cant say I know how it feels because my outbreak is dime sized and literally just there. It wasnt accompanied by any symptoms, no itching, no pain. I decided not to get on any medication and just monitor my outbreaks. My first one was six years ago this is only my second so hopefully after this outbreak I wont get one in a couple of years as well. If things change and I start getting them more frequent then I'll consider getting on medication however I wouldn't be able to tell you about the valtrex because i've never taken it. Luckily they say breakouts with hsv1 are less frequent, milder and clear up faster than an hsv2 outbreak. Hopefully after this you wont have to deal with it for a long time. 

@BusyShotz,

Im hoping I don’t get another OB for a while, but honestly I have had bad luck my entire life. This OB came right at the end of my cycle. I have HSV1 but something is telling me around every cycle I will deal with this. My doctor gave me Valtrex for a year. I’m just waiting to actually feel some relief. I’ve only taken two pills at this point.

Oh and did I mention I got this from my current boyfriend, who mentioned yesterday that he didn’t know how things would work between us because of our religious differences. No luck here. 

Let's be positive and hope for the best. Theres no such thing as bad luck, everything happens for a reason. Got would never put you in a situation you cant handle @Dreamer07Hopefully you wont continue get these outbreaks frequently. Instead of thinking you will tell yourself you wont and for your boyfriend does he know that your dealing with this? Does he know he has it and infected you? 

• 2 weeks later...

@Jenn88

I think igM means currently or in last few months, you didn't have breakout.  igM antibodies come out first when your immune system is attacked by virus.  They fight with virus when you don't have igG or igG is not enough.  After a while, igM resign and igG increase & take over.  Hope I understand correctly.

@Jenn88

your doctor office must be really busy. But yes it’s good to talk to doctors directly. I went to planes parenthood here. Doctors including their nurses are all very caring and professional. Provide useful information and sincere comfort. Hope yours will take care of you good as well