• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Negative blood test positive culture

she never took herbal meds that I know of.she does take the valtrax though.  she had a very bad first breakout. plus she had a kidney and bladder infection.she was in pure misery. I am here for moral support.she really needs friends. I took a blood test in August I was negative for hsv 2 and positive for hsv1.

That brings tears to my own eyes reading that, @sarahsfocus ... I'm so glad to hear that. 

@Jenn88 — Start with this video: 

... then read this article:

https://herpeslife.com/how-can-you-get-herpes/

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources:

Jenn88 you can't get herpes from a towel and Adrial helped me realize that.he has helped me more than he knows.those are some good inspirational videos.when my sister was diagnosed I introduced her to Adrials video"s. I think they helped her some what.i hope his videos help you as well.your friend Sarah.

I would pray to die that's how depressed I got.i live near cliff several miles from my house.i was going to drive on to it and jump off. also I am going through menopause.which made things harder at the time. I wouldn't listen to anyone. my nieces hamster died this morning.my sister (Jackie) wanted to borrow the money to buy her a new one.so I took my sister and my niece to the pet shop and I ended up buying my sister and my niece a hamster a piece. I figured since my sister is depressed about her hsv 2 I would get her a pet for her depression.I'm glad things are getting better for you.Sarah

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

You have to wait  12-16 weeks after exposure for the tests to reach maximum accuracy after infection. Being on antivirals can significantly delay the seroconversion. IgG shows whether you have the virus or not. If your IgG value is below 3.5 and above 1.1, it might be false positive. To confirm you can do a western blot test which detects 99.8% of HSV antibodies. Regular HSV blood tests (IgG) misses 30% of HSV-1 and 8% of HSV-2 infections.

IgM tests are unreliable for herpes and useless. 

The swab test can lead to 30-50% false positives of herpes infections depending on when it is taken. IgM will only catch a recent or ongoing outbreak. The IgG has a sensitivity and specificity of 98% as long as you take it at least 6 months after the initial infection then there's a 90% chance that you will have antibodies. Longer than that lets say a couple years and you will for sure have antibodies if you are infected. There are a lot of conditions which can be misdiagnosed as herpes. 

Standard viral culture:

Tube culture isolation is the traditional gold standard for HSV detection and the reference method against which all other tests are measured (16,17). While the test has 100% specificity for HSV-1 or HSV-2, the sensitivity depends on the stage of the lesion at the time of specimen collection. The sensitivity also varies from 75% for first episodes to 50% for recurrences (18,19).

Again this mean if you get a negative swab test you are fine, but if you get a positive there is a significant chance that it is a false positive.

Commercial gG-based type-specific tests:

The dual enzyme immunoassay test (HerpeSelect HSV-1 and HSV-2 enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay) has reported 97% to 100% sensitivity and 98% specificity for HSV-1 and HSV-2 (41).

Source: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2095011/

Since the swab appaherently has 100% specificity it means that if it's negative than it's a true negative, according to the literature. Since the sensitivity is lower than means the postitive swabs can be a false positive. However, perhaps the swab was taken too late the second time and not enough virus was available thus the negative, while the first outbreak actually caught enough of the virus to diagnose her.  

Her negative blood test further suggest that she might not have herpes, however, you need to be more specific as to the type of blood test and elaborate the time-frame? It's peculiar that it was first positive than negative though so I don't know. If  it were the other way around it would make more sense as it takes time to develop antibodies and she probably has herpes.

Either way if I were her I would try to get more tests done to determine her status and get some peace of mind.