• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

HSV1 confused

Hi @Saveme51,

If you touch an outbreak, then touch your genitals, there's a possibility of auto-inoculation, but the longer you have herpes, the more antibodies you will build up, and the less likely it will be to spread. To be safe, whenever you touch an outbreak, wash your hands. That'll kill any virus that might have transferred. But when you're not having an oral outbreak (cold sore), then touch your mouth then your genitals, there's a small enough amount of virus being shed via asymptomatic viral shedding that it'll be hard to pass from your mouth to hand to genitals. But it is possible to pass HSV-1 via oral sex, but that's because there is a direct mouth-to-genital connection (more than 50% of new genital herpes cases are passed via oral sex). But since you can't reach your mouth down there yourself, it's harder to pass it to yourself. 😉 

Read this article for more: https://herpeslife.com/how-can-you-get-herpes/

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources:

Thanks for clearing that up. If I could ask one more question? I just found out I have hsv1 antibodies through blood test, negative hsv2, but symptoms mostly are in my genitalia area. I found out in July and it seems I’ve been having consecutive OBs since then, even with taking Valtrex. I’m depressed and miserable and don’t want to tell my husband. Is this normal to be going on like this?

Have you ever been tested for hsv1 in the past? Your positive hsv1 blood test could be an oral infection that you’ve had for a long time— it’s hard to assume it’s a genital infection.

The only way you can really know if it’s a genital infection is to get a swab done (preferably PCR). As you say you’re quite symptomatic, do you think you could go in to get swabbed by a doctor while this is happening? 

If you’ve been taking Valtrex and this is infact herpes, I would assume the medication would stop you from experiencing consecutive outbreaks. This is why I think it’s worth exploring other potential diagnoses and to try to pin down the location of your hsv1 infection with a swab. 

Thanks for clearing that up. If I could ask one more question? I just found out I have hsv1 antibodies through blood test, negative hsv2, but symptoms mostly are in my genitalia area. I found out in July and it seems I’ve been having consecutive OBs since then, even with taking Valtrex. I’m depressed and miserable and don’t want to tell my husband. Is this normal to be going on like this?

I just assume I have it down there because my gyn told me it looked like it when he swabbed it but came out negative. I just feel like I have symptoms of it down there like some pain, tingling at times and saw what I thought was a white spot. I cheated on my husband with someone I worked with for 3 years and can’t understand why all of a sudden I have this!! I’m kicking myself now!!