• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

High Igg index 7.17

Just newly diagnosed as if 9/24/18 Hsv2 

I have a question… I slept with a new partner around Aug 25th not even 3 weeks later in tested with an Igg  index of 7.17.

Has anyone newly infected had a high index?  

Does this seem like a old infection?  That had been dormant and gas surfaced being a high index in less then 20 days?  

Please share your thoughts.  

That partner probably gave it to you though. My new partner had an OB 2 weeks after seeing me. Mine was triggered by a brazilian wax, IF I believe the whole year thing because i did have a new partner around that time. We were about 2-3 weeks in on sleeping together. He has yet to get tested, so i wont know for sure until i see his results. 

Hey @Concerned1977,

It does sound like a high number to have in such a short period of time, but IgG index levels shouldn’t be used to attempt to nail down a timeline, even though it’s tempting to use them in that way.  

Here’s a helpful interview via ASHA discussing this:

http://www.thehelpernewsletter.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=55:testing-winter-2009&catid=176:herpes-testing&Itemid=237

Specifically this part:

“In general,” Dr. Morrow explains, “the more antibody you have the higher the index value.” Yet while this concept is relatively straightforward, the index number can cause a good deal of confusion. “People use the index value incorrectly in a couple of ways,” Morrow explains. “One is that they infer that a low index value means that infection has occurred recently. That’s not always true. We’ve shown that people with long term infections can have low index values.”

Just as there is no association between index values and the time and length of infection, neither is there an association between this value and recurrences. As Dr. Morrow states, “The second thing that people try to take out of index values is that a high index value means that I’m going to recur a lot. Or some people draw the opposite conclusion and think, ‘I have a high index value, therefore I have lots of antibody and I’m not going to recur very often.’ That’s not necessarily true either. Index values are not predictive of your natural history.”

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources:

8 hours ago, _a_rayofsunshine_ said:

That partner probably gave it to you though. My new partner had an OB 2 weeks after seeing me. Mine was triggered by a brazilian wax, IF I believe the whole year thing because i did have a new partner around that time. We were about 2-3 weeks in on sleeping together. He has yet to get tested, so i wont know for sure until i see his results. 

Thank you for your response but I have a few questions are you saying one year ago you had a partner and you guys were intimate only for about 2 or 3 weeks?  But you had no symptoms at all after that?  And then a year later out of nowhere boom 💥 it hit you? Had you had other partners since .

I see you said your new partner had a ob and didn't tell you…  was he infected prior to you? It from you?  

I had a really small bump which I thought was a hair bump a few weeks ago and some tingling thats what prompted me to go to Doc cleared up in 5 days. That was Aug 28th. Since then I have been fine.  I'm wondering if that was my first outbreak or recurrance and I really just never noticed anything before🤔.

8 hours ago, mr_hopp said:

Hey @Concerned1977,

It does sound like a high number to have in such a short period of time, but IgG index levels shouldn’t be used to attempt to nail down a timeline, even though it’s tempting to use them in that way.  

Here’s a helpful interview via ASHA discussing this:

http://www.thehelpernewsletter.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=55:testing-winter-2009&catid=176:herpes-testing&Itemid=237

Specifically this part:

“In general,” Dr. Morrow explains, “the more antibody you have the higher the index value.” Yet while this concept is relatively straightforward, the index number can cause a good deal of confusion. “People use the index value incorrectly in a couple of ways,” Morrow explains. “One is that they infer that a low index value means that infection has occurred recently. That’s not always true. We’ve shown that people with long term infections can have low index values.”

Just as there is no association between index values and the time and length of infection, neither is there an association between this value and recurrences. As Dr. Morrow states, “The second thing that people try to take out of index values is that a high index value means that I’m going to recur a lot. Or some people draw the opposite conclusion and think, ‘I have a high index value, therefore I have lots of antibody and I’m not going to recur very often.’ That’s not necessarily true either. Index values are not predictive of your natural history.”

Thank you for your response I'll be sure to review this article

2 hours ago, Concerned1977 said:

Thank you for your response but I have a few questions are you saying one year ago you had a partner and you guys were intimate only for about 2 or 3 weeks?  But you had no symptoms at all after that?  And then a year later out of nowhere boom 💥 it hit you? Had you had other partners since .

I see you said your new partner had a ob and didn't tell you…  was he infected prior to you? It from you?  

I had a really small bump which I thought was a hair bump a few weeks ago and some tingling thats what prompted me to go to Doc cleared up in 5 days. That was Aug 28th. Since then I have been fine.  I'm wondering if that was my first outbreak or recurrance and I really just never noticed anything before🤔.

No. Im saying Guy A was my new partner in 2018. We had only been having sex for 2-3 weeks when after i got a brazilian, i started having what felt like cuts on my perineum & i went to the DR 4 days later. So, it was with Guy A that I learned I had herpes but my doc claim its a year old infection, so I believed him and ruled out Guy A as being the culprit. However, Guy A has never gotten tested but apparently had his “1st” OB in July (2 months after my 1st one) but he didn’t bother telling me until the last week in September. I had a 1NS  w/ Guy B and 2 weeks later he told me had gotten a cold sore and spots (not bumps) on his penis. So, until Guy A gets a test, I dont know for sure if he gave it to me or if I really did already have it and the wax triggered it to surface. 

23 minutes ago, _a_rayofsunshine_ said:

No. Im saying Guy A was my new partner in 2018. We had only been having sex for 2-3 weeks when after i got a brazilian, i started having what felt like cuts on my perineum & i went to the DR 4 days later. So, it was with Guy A that I learned I had herpes but my doc claim its a year old infection, so I believed him and ruled out Guy A as being the culprit. However, Guy A has never gotten tested but apparently had his “1st” OB in July (2 months after my 1st one) but he didn’t bother telling me until the last week in September. I had a 1NS  w/ Guy B and 2 weeks later he told me had gotten a cold sore and spots (not bumps) on his penis. So, until Guy A gets a test, I dont know for sure if he gave it to me or if I really did already have it and the wax triggered it to surface. 

How have your outbreaks been?  Are you taking anything?  

14 hours ago, Concerned1977 said:

How have your outbreaks been?  Are you taking anything?  

Not bad. Only have had maybe 4 total, since diagnosis 6 months ago. I only take vitamins. L-lysine, C, d3, echinacea & goldenseal extract, liquid chlorophyll, & a daily multivitamin. Since taking these vites, i havent had an outbreak. So its been 3 months since my last one. 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...