• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

I need support

I found out yesterday that I tested positive for HSV-2. I have had HSV-1 for years and haven't gotten a cold sore in about 5 years now (knock on wood). I take lysine pills on a regular basis and have an apt next week to go back to the OBGYN to get prescribed Valtrex on a regular basis. I feel so angry with myself that this happened. I am usually very careful, I also don't engage with men very often which doubles my anger. I asked him if he was clean and he said yes. I just got tested a few weeks prior and hsv2 came out negative. Full disclosure, I am a very sexually active and open person, since getting out of a long term relationship I have engaged with multiple couples and most recently, the guy that I believe gave this to me. Now, besides the fact that I feel awful about myself and feel as if no one will ever want to have sex with me again, I now have to go through the process of telling these people should I see them again, which I am not looking forward to. I do not believe any of the people in these relationships gave this to me because they were either recently tested or were quite specific about what they did/did not have. I reached out to the guy I think gave this to me and he got tested this morning so I will find out soon if he has it as well although I strongly believe he does since its been about a year since he got tested. Long story short, I feel so sad and hopeless right now. Granted my index came back low at 1.16 and I have not encountered an outbreak as of yet, I feel like it's the end of the world for me. I have no intentions of dating anyone for awhile since I recently got out of a long term relationship but I do have casual sex and that is going to be 10x harder now than before. I don't really know what to do at this point in time. Any advice/suggestions would be helpful. I am getting tested again in a month in the hopes that this is all just a bad dream and I don't really have this. 

I'm newly diagnosed too, though my index was very high so I have no question. If I were you I'd talk to my OBGYN about whether you could get a confirmatory test unless you develop HSV2 symptoms. I've been reading the peer reviewed literature because gathering information is helping me process my own new diagnosis. I don't want to give you false hope but are a couple articles showing that HerpeSelect is not very specific for herpes type (40-80%) until the index is over 2.1 and maybe even a bit higher.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25908332

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21307152