• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Anyone experienced herpes esophagitis?

Hey everyone, does anyone have exerience with herpes esophagitis or throat herpes?

I got diagnosed with oral and genital hsv2 about 5 weeks ago. Outbreak cleared with acyclovir but then a second and third outbreak followed. I am almost positive I have herpes esophagitis (lesions and sore on the back of my throat) difficult to swallow and some chest pain. It was previous only recognized in immunodeficient patients but has become more commonly recognized in healthy individuals as well. I tested negative for autoimmune disorders and tested negative for HIV. Now my nighttime googling has given me anxiety about a rare complication including esophageal perforation. I’m on another round of acyclovir- 200 mg/ 5x a day for 7 days, which is the common treatment for herpes esophagitis. 

Thanks,

Elle

Hi @elle27

not sure if that is what I experienced with oral hsv2. I did have gag reflexes and almost vomited several times. My throat constantly killed! I had a blood blister on the inside of my cheek, white tongue and I had what appears like teeth marks on the sides of my tongue. I never had sores outside of my mouth only inside ulcers that looked like canker sores and I had clusters at the roof of my mouth.

now I notice a few red dots in a row on my gums. Looks like the size of a pin prick.

First outbreak I had canker sores on my cheeks and then on my throat. It didn’t cause too much discomfort but with this third outbreak it is much more uncomfortable, difficult to swallow, dry mouth. A lot of lesions and blisters all over the back of my throat and it feels like it goes about midway down my esophagus.

thanks for your reply!

• 5 months later...

Hi @elle27

not sure if that is what I experienced with oral hsv2. I did have gag reflexes and almost vomited several times. My throat constantly killed! I had a blood blister on the inside of my cheek, white tongue and I had what appears like teeth marks on the sides of my tongue. I never had sores outside of my mouth only inside ulcers that looked like canker sores and I had clusters at the roof of my mouth.

now I notice a few red dots in a row on my gums. Looks like the size of a pin prick.

This is happening to my mouth, too!

Oh my gosh! This is me!! I was diagnosed with HSV2 last month. Every doctor keeps trying to reassure me that I don’t have oral HSV2, let alone herpetic esophagitis. But for the first time in my life, I have “canker sores” inside my cheeks, a scalloped tongue, and little small bumps in the back of my mouth. All doctors have told me that I haven’t presented with cold sores and the spots in my mouth don’t hurt, tingle, itch, or burn- so it’s not oral HSV2. I did test positive for strep throat but that doesn’t explain all of what’s happening orally. I also had what I think was a primary outbreak after contracting the virus in December. I had an extremely sore throat, huge inflamed tonsils, white coated tonsils/throat, and a few small painless spots in my mouth. Did you guys have a similar experience? I’m curious to hear from other women who feel like me. 

Oh my gosh! This is me!! I was diagnosed with HSV2 last month. Every doctor keeps trying to reassure me that I don’t have oral HSV2, let alone herpetic esophagitis. But for the first time in my life, I have “canker sores” inside my cheeks, a scalloped tongue, and little small bumps in the back of my mouth. All doctors have told me that I haven’t presented with cold sores and the spots in my mouth don’t hurt, tingle, itch, or burn- so it’s not oral HSV2. I did test positive for strep throat but that doesn’t explain all of what’s happening orally. I also had what I think was a primary outbreak after contracting the virus in December. I had an extremely sore throat, huge inflamed tonsils, white coated tonsils/throat, and a few small painless spots in my mouth. Did you guys have a similar experience? I’m curious to hear from other women who feel like me. 

Exactly what I have experienced. All doctors have been skeptical but no one swabbed me. My obgyn finally seemed to believe me when I told her at my annual last week. Other than take antivirals- I haven’t found much relief- it’s seems to be getting much better as time goes on- I was diagnosed 6 months ago with genital hsv2 but tested negative for hsv1 and haven’t ever gotten cold sores. 

• Like 1

Exactly what I have experienced. All doctors have been skeptical but no one swabbed me. My obgyn finally seemed to believe me when I told her at my annual last week. Other than take antivirals- I haven’t found much relief- it’s seems to be getting much better as time goes on- I was diagnosed 6 months ago with genital hsv2 but tested negative for hsv1 and haven’t ever gotten cold sores. 

Thank you so much for responding!! Can I ask how frequently you’ve gotten the “canker sores” in your mouth since diagnosis? I keep reading the oral HSV2 rarely recurs, but I definitely think I’m on my second ob. 

Thank you so much for responding!! Can I ask how frequently you’ve gotten the “canker sores” in your mouth since diagnosis? I keep reading the oral HSV2 rarely recurs, but I definitely think I’m on my second ob. 

I’m getting canker sores more often than normal but not like the initial outbreak. It was more throat discomfort and red bumps on my throat than anything. It happened with every genital outbreak- throat symptoms would should up a day or so after the genital symptoms, which I was having outbreak after outbreak until I switched to Valacyclovir but I’m still having outbreaks monthly around my period. 

I’m getting canker sores more often than normal but not like the initial outbreak. It was more throat discomfort and red bumps on my throat than anything. It happened with every genital outbreak- throat symptoms would should up a day or so after the genital symptoms, which I was having outbreak after outbreak until I switched to Valacyclovir but I’m still having outbreaks monthly around my period. 

Oh wow! You are having HSV2 oral outbreaks once a month while on Valacyclovir?? I’ve been reading that HSV2 only sheds orally about 1% of the year, and that’s cut in half with suppressive therapy. Are you HSV1 positive too? I don’t mean to pry. I’m just trying to rationalize things in my own mind. 

I am suffering from the scalloped tongue, too. There has been a white film on my tongue for a few weeks now.

The other mouth symptoms I get are long lasting sores on my gums, bleeding in the mouth, dry/cut upper lip. I had the flu back in September and a tingling started happening on my upper lip and a ton of very small white bumps shows up on just my upper lip. That is when the cuts/chapped lip started and no medicine has been able to cure it. 

The girl I was seeing back then also had the flu and developed the tingling/white bumps on lips. No doctor has been able to explain why this happened.

Foods that are salty, acidic or high in wheat are setting off the pain on my lips and the swelling on the sides of my tongue.

I have been diagnosed ghsv2 but in what seems to be my second ob I had terrible sore throat and flu symptoms.. i never gave anyone an oral sex I'm suspecting the only reason I got hsv2 is because someone gave me an oral sex.. how is this possible? Does the virus travel? Am I contagious now if I kissed someone..?

9 hours ago, misterx said:

I have been diagnosed ghsv2 but in what seems to be my second ob I had terrible sore throat and flu symptoms.. i never gave anyone an oral sex I'm suspecting the only reason I got hsv2 is because someone gave me an oral sex.. how is this possible? Does the virus travel? Am I contagious now if I kissed someone..?

If you touched your genitals and immediately then your mouth or someone else’s genitals and immediately then your mouth it could spread that way- It can’t travel within/inside your body up to your throat. I had actual sores inside my throat- the only way to know for sure is it have your throat swabbed- you could also just be sick with a random virus or strep throat in addition to an outbreak. Best advice is to go to your medical practioner for evaluation. 

On 3/22/2019 at 5:25 AM, Elle27 said:

How were you diagnosed?